looking for a quick answer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realtor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will 7/8 3 strand nylon and 3/8 chain work with the windless on a 2021 2520 xld? might be a dumb question but... well, I've been know to ask a few of those...

Thanks in advance.

Will 7/8 3 strand nylon and 3/8 chain work with the windless on a 2021 2520 xld? might be a dumb question but... well, I've been know to ask a few of those...

Thanks in advance.
Not a single one of us knew how to tie our shoes until someone showed us how, so I'm one of those who believes there is no such thing as a dumb question, when asked in sincerity. I'm guessing you either already have the 7/8" rode, and 3/8" chain? Or easy access to some?
If it's the Lewmar 700 (a common windlass found on a lot of 2520's; and on our 2520 XLD) the answer is no. Besides, 7/8" anchor rode would have very little of the desirable 'stretch' on such a small boat. And the 3/8" chain would be overkill; and certainly would not work with that windlass..... Our last boat was 28,000 lbs. plus flybridge with a LOT of windage, and we used 3/8" chain coupled to 5/8" braided rode, and most considered that over-sized. (especially the chain)...By the way, Chapmans recommended 1/2" line and 5/16" chain for that boat... Just mentioning that to compare how over-sized 7/8" rode and 3/8" chain would be for our 2520 XLD.'s.... Plus, it would add a lot of unnecessary weight to the bow...

Last edited:
Not a single one of us knew how to tie our shoes until someone showed us how, so I'm one of those who believes there is no such thing as a dumb question, when asked in sincerity. I'm guessing you either already have the 7/8" rode, and 3/8" chain? Or easy access to some?
If it's the Lewmar 700 (a common windlass found on a lot of 2520's; and on our 2520 XLD) the answer is no. Besides, 7/8" anchor rode would have very little of the desirable 'stretch' on such a small boat. And the 3/8" chain would be overkill; and certainly would not work with that windlass..... Our last boat was 28,000 lbs. plus flybridge with a LOT of windage, and we used 3/8" chain coupled to 5/8" braided rode, and most considered that over-sized. (especially the chain)...By the way, Chapmans recommended 1/2" line and 5/16" chain for that boat... Just mentioning that to compare how over-sized 7/8" rode and 3/8" chain would be for our 2520 XLD.'s..
Thanks... I'm not close to the boat to go look at it right now,and there was a fella selling some rode and chain at a super good price, so If I could have used it, I was going to get it..... Thanks, again..

Thanks in advance.

If you look carefully at the gypsy wheel on your windlass, you should see a series of numbers on it, those numbers will tell you what size chain and rode fit that particular gypsy wheel.

You need to check exactly what model windless you have. I am suspecting that it is the 700. This would most likely use 1/2 with 1/4 chain. You do need to check the gypsy number though. I would use 8 plait rode. it is much more flexible and will lay down nicely in the locker. Minimally the chain should be at least the length of the boat.

You need to check exactly what model windless you have. I am suspecting that it is the 700. This would most likely use 1/2 with 1/4 chain. You do need to check the gypsy number though. I would use 8 plait rode. it is much more flexible and will lay down nicely in the locker. Minimally the chain should be at least the length of the boat.
you're right, this line and chain i was looking at wont work correctly...

20220206_092211.jpg

Another thing that is a really good addition to a windless is a remote control....That way if you need to.....You can move the boat when backed up to FtMcree. Your not held in the pilothouse where you cants see the anchor coming up for that last little bit to lock it in and not have it swing and beat the boat up. I've installed 3 remotes on them....Wouldn't have it any other way.

https://www.lewmar.com/node/11820?v=25701

I have a colored zip tie on my chain about 5' from the anchor that way I know to slow down and not knock the crap out of the pulpit when bringing up the anchor.

I have a colored zip tie on my chain about 5' from the anchor that way I know to slow down and not knock the crap out of the pulpit when bringing up the anchor.

I have a 2 ft. section 10-12 feet up from the anchor painted red. when the res shows up, I know I'm close....

Back