Lower unit mating/shifting problem - Need some help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goinsfishin

Reaction score
Need some help or advice on an 89 Yamaha 200……replaced my water pump impeller about a month ago with my stepson assisting…..I’ve probably done a hundred of these over the years so no problem……finally got around to test running the engine today and found no reverse. Pulled the LU and reset the upper and lower shift splines while in neutral…..now no forward…..the upper spline and lower spline wont mate right with both in neutral and can’t get the case to seal….about a 1/2” gap. If I turn the lower shaft slightly in either direction it slides right together but the upper shaft dog is now too far into forward or reverse and don’t have the opposite gear……I suspect my stepson accidentally turned one of the shafts but now I can’t get it back together right.
I’ve disconnected the shift cable entirely and am using the shaft dog to align the upper shift shaft and still have the same issue. I have also tried aligning while in forward and in reverse….still is off by a fraction of a turn but enough to prevent full shift motion.
Been messing with this thing for hours now and keep getting the same results.
Have never run into this before.
Any ideas ?

I bet you shift shaft finally gave up.... That year motor didn't have SS and they are VERY, VERY prone to rusting out and breaking. Take a peek at the shaft just in front of the lower mount on the midsection, and let us know what she looks like.

gw204":2cel7rri said:
I bet you shift shaft finally gave up.... That year motor didn't have SS and they are VERY, VERY prone to rusting out and breaking.
FWIW all "Pre-Saltwater" series Yams had not only that part being plain ol' carbon steel, but other parts as well.

But also check, as without seeing my manuals 1st-hand, the typical L/U re-assembly sequence is to have everything shifted into reverse before assembly.

Thanks guys,
Its been raining all day and I havnt been able to check the shaft but it was turning fine, just doesn't seem to be positioned right.
Dale,
Both manuals I have - a Clymers and a Seloc, neither worth a damn, list the reassembly sequence as neutral....does the Yammie manual specify differently?
I tried reassembling in reverse but when the splines aligned it was actually in neutral on the engine side and couldnt get enough travel for forward, the lu side was still in reverse.

goinsfishin":3jkxa8tz said:
Both manuals I have - a Clymers and a Seloc, neither worth a damn, list the reassembly sequence as neutral....does the Yammie manual specify differently?

I'll check my Yam factory service manual tonight ...

Back