Man Overboard. 23' Parker. 37 miles off North Carolina coast

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a report on a man, fishing his 23' Parker, who fell overboard 37 miles off shore.
Some good lessons learned here.
1. If not for the GPS 'bread-crumb' feature, he likely would be gone. Two 'good Samaritans' were almost run down by the empty boat. They got onboard and followed 'the track' miles back to where the boat owner was treading water.
2. He was offshore, by himself, and not wearing a life vest.
3. He was not using an automatic engine kill-switch device.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/07/06/man-falls-overboard-37-miles-offshore-rescued-by-samaritans/

Last edited:
"According to the Coast Guard, as of April 1, drivers of all boats under 26-feet are required to wear an ECOS"
Good point Tom!
And there are a couple exceptions to the requirement; for example, they are not required in Parker 21, 23, and 25' Pilothouse boats; But I always have mine attached when running from the ourside control station.
1625589120741.png

Attachments

• 1625588853917.png
    1625588853917.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 12
west marine sale

Ends today. free shipping to store or home.
Hi Tom, I would like/need to install this in the outside steering station, free-standing console (not the bulkhead mounted one).... Best I can tell, I would not have room for the 'antenna' that extends from the unit..... Have you, or do you know of anyone who has installed it in the outside console? Is the antenna length an issue?

Hi Baker, would the antenna fit in a tight space like the cockpit console? Tomc585 mentioned the antenna has a 'swivel'...

The antenna is about 6" long, but I don't see a swivel, unless they upgraded and I have the old model. Your boat is set up exactly like ours, but why would you want the unit at the second station and not at the primary where the main keyed ignition switch is? I'm not sure of this, but i think you would still need to run the wires up to the helm to splice in at existing killswitch near the main ignition switch (it may not work going back the other way for a parallel circuit condition). Also, do you have a power and ground bus in the second station console, if not then more wires to the helm. I will take some pictures and make a video of the back and wiring, etc. Again, it's an easy install. You will need a 2-1/16" holesaw, like this one.
https://amzn.to/2Vge12Z

Last edited:
We were fishing about 2 miles from where this happened Monday. We wondered what had happened when Sea Tow go by us. Heard the news about it when we got back to the dock. The guy in the slip next to me said he worried it was us because he new the area we were fishing & knew I had a 23 Parker.

The antenna is about 6" long, but I don't see a swivel, unless they upgraded and I have the old model. Your boat is set up exactly like ours, but why would you want the unit at the second station and not at the primary where the main keyed ignition switch is? I'm not sure of this, but i think you would still need to run the wires up to the helm to splice in at the main ignition switch (it may not work going back the other way for a parallel circuit condition). Also, do you have a power and ground bus in the second station console, if not then more wires to the helm. I will take some pictures and make a video of the back and wiring, etc. Again, it's an easy install. You will need a 2-1/16" holesaw, like this one.
https://amzn.to/2Vge12Z
Thank you! The main reason I had thought about installing one at the second station, is because I have very little space (no available space) near the main station.... I'll do some more measuring...

We were fishing about 2 miles from where this happened Monday. We wondered what had happened when Sea Tow go by us. Heard the news about it when we got back to the dock. The guy in the slip next to me said he worried it was us because he new the area we were fishing & knew I had a 23 Parker.
I was wondering if he (the man who fell overboard) is a member here at Classic Parker... if so, I hope he chimes in and let's us know how it happened.... A first-hand explanation would be educational....

Last edited:
Back