Marthas Vineyard

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkergirl

Reaction score
I had asked under a different topic and I decided it would make more sense to start my own thread for my question. My fiance and I are getting married at the end of June 2012, and my other half loves to cruise...so I was hoping to take him up along east coast. By the way, he is the Parker owner in this relationship but I guess it will be mine soon, too. Our first holiday together was Boston & Cape Cod, then we did a day trip across to MV and Nantucket. So, now I'm wanting to stay on the island! We'll be happy to relax for a few days, do some sightseeing and shopping. More interested in dining out rather than drinking and clubbing - so I was wondering do you think Marthas Vineyard is an OK place for a honeymoon? I got a little information at this Martha's Vineyard place but I would love to hear from people who are very familiar with it. Let me know if you can offer me some advice and information!

Edit by Megabyte: Post title changed to 'Marthas Vineyard' rather than 'MV', which here generally means 'modified vee'. :D

MV means something else to a lot of use here, but now I get it. :lol:

Marthas Vineyard is a beautiful place to visit and for a honeymoon.

See my post to your first post in the other thread

haha yea John I thought mod V too

Sounds like a great plan!
I'm sure some of our members in that area can help you with the details of where to go, and what to do.

So tell us about the boat! :D
Oh... and congratulations. 8)

Great place to spend a week, but the operative word will be "spend". it ain't cheap!

if you are not interested in late nights and the like, avoid Oak Bluffs as that has evolved into the party town. To me it comes down to this:

if you want to be near the activity, stay in or near Edgartown. Plenty of great restaurants, easy access to the beach by bike, lots of places to walk to.

If you truly want isolation and quiet, find a place on South Beach or near Aquinah (the old Gay Head before that fell out of favor as a name).

Prices will be less inland or in Vineyard Haven, but the experience would suffer as well.

The other question you need to address NOW is if you are bringing a car. If so you needed ferry reservations yesterday! Get on it.

I love the place, but have to say that it went down hill for me once Clinton and now Obama made it more popular.

Can't comment on the vineyard. For reasons unknown I have been going to ACK or Nantucket for about 25 years and never have set foot on MV, both are about an hour from my home. So my info is for Nantucket. For a shorter stay stay try a bed and breakfast on Nantucket right in town so you can walk to world class restaurants and shops. ACK unlike MV , ACK has one town so t is easy to not have a car. For longer stay try Homefinder.com for a house rental on either island. Really good site and we have had great luck with the rentals, a car might be needed for this.
My ACK Tops List:
Gails Tours for island tour in a van on a rainy day( Gail knows everything)
Rent a Jeep drive to Great Point(on the sand) surf fish, see the island, drive the bogs
Bike rental from Youngs, bike paths al over but it can be a little work if you don't ride regularly
Capt. Fred Tonkin of Herbert T Sportfishing runs a 25 Parker, very reasonable 2.5 hour trip or charter for full day Bass/Blues(25 years and counting with Fred seems impossible to be snuked, actually get sick of reeling in blues fish)
Any Bed and Breakfast beside the Coffin house( this is really a big hotel)
Eat at least one meal at American Seasons ( candle light din din with food that you will remember for a long time)
Try to get to the basement room at The Brotherhood of Theives for a little music at night
Wake up early, grab a paper and coffee sit on a bench on Main street watch the world go by
Walk to the docks and check out the yatchs,
Surf fish the Sconset Rip
Sunset on the West End

Having sailed from MV for the past 12 years, my recommendation for a honeymoon would be Edgartown, hands down. Cabs from there to anywhere you may want to go, so you can avoid bringing the car, and thus directions, parking, DWI issues, etc. Plenty of good restaurants in Edgartown, great maritime environment, Espresso Love in the mornings, Newes from America for a beer in the afternoons. If you are a member of any yacht club, by all means visit the Edgartown YC. Very nice, great staff, welcoming crowd.
For extra points, go by boat ;-), or just take the Pied Piper ferry direct to Edgartown.

-- Mike

Parkergirl, I work on the hi-speed ferry that runs from RI to Oak Bluffs MV, and my vote is also for Edgartown. Lots of b&b's there. Rather than taxis use the VTA bus system. They run all over the island for an all day pass around $8 per person. You can also catch a Hy-line ferry out of Oak Bluffs that will take you over to Nantucket and back.

Congratulations on all points and have fun on your honeymoon...eat lots of sea food

Back