Mercury Verado

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a few who are, very tourqey motors, but prone to ingesting water in the lower cylinders when coming off a wave or off plane fast. More than a few have blownup after the water can't compress in the cylinder and the connecting arms bend. Reviews of Verado boards confirms this. Now that can happen to any motor and apparently happened to my own direct injected 2-stroke motor this past Fall (or at least that is when she finally failed last Fall), but I'm guessing whereas the charger gives the Verado it's ooommphhhhhhh on acceleration, whilst coming off plane there isn't enough backpressure to fully prevent water ingestion as compared to other types of motors.

I am just weighing options on a repower after I sell the Jones Brothers Skiff. The Verado has awesome stats compared to Yam 4S and Etec. I am a real fan of Etec's and am in love with the torque and low end power. This water ingestion talk that has come up in the last couple months has just about wigged me out. I have never heard of this before and have been in and on boats my whole life. I can see how an engine on a bracket can really get water pushed up around the powerhead and I used to have a v-6 Merc on a bracket that got wet quite often, but I would think manufacturers would be aware of this and have this resolved. Anyone else got any stories?

Back