Minn Kota Sizing Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunagi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Brand new to the site, so this is my first post.

I just purchased a 2001 21 SE that I'm picking up tomorrow. This purchase was due to a hull issue with my existing boat that was just discovered when I was about to repower. I was about to become boatless a month before the season started! By the grace of the Fishing Gods, I found this boat!

The next task is to swap all of my equipment to this new sweet ride.

I have a 36V 72" shaft trolling motor that is a key part of any fishing excursion. So wanted to poll the group to see if that shaft length will work on this vessel. I plan on mounting the batteries and charger in the console.

Thanks in advance for the input!

I’d definitely try what you got before buying another trolly. The 72” will
Work for you 72% of the time. There are times that the foot will cavitate w waves.
But
1.) you can’t buy an 87” right now as they are months from distribution
2.) they cost $3000

If it were me, I’d use what you have and upgrade later down the line if you feel the need.

H
Hi Everyone,

Brand new to the site, so this is my first post.

I just purchased a 2001 21 SE that I'm picking up tomorrow. This purchase was due to a hull issue with my existing boat that was just discovered when I was about to repower. I was about to become boatless a month before the season started! By the grace of the Fishing Gods, I found this boat!

The next task is to swap all of my equipment to this new sweet ride.

I have a 36V 72" shaft trolling motor that is a key part of any fishing excursion. So wanted to poll the group to see if that shaft length will work on this vessel. I plan on mounting the batteries and charger in the console.

Thanks in advance for the input!
Hi Tunagi, welcome tp CP and congrats on the 21 SE... Great boat!

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I know I'm kind of stuck based on all the craziness with supply chain issues and lack of availability on motors right now.

I figured that was the case. There are times that the motor comes out of the water on my Carolina Skiff when I get into some waves....and that bow is low to the water!

I'm sure there will be a lot more questions out of me once the work begins. Looking forward to this project....even though I was finally done customizing my last boat after 4 seasons.

This will be a great upgrade!!

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I know I'm kind of stuck based on all the craziness with supply chain issues and lack of availability on motors right now.

I figured that was the case. There are times that the motor comes out of the water on my Carolina Skiff when I get into some waves....and that bow is low to the water!

I'm sure there will be a lot more questions out of me once the work begins. Looking forward to this project....even though I was finally done customizing my last boat after 4 seasons.

This will be a great upgrade!!

Thanks again
Furthermore, as long as you stick with the same manufacturer, you should in theory be able to swap the motors out with little more headache than unbolting one and bolting on the other. The rest of the installation should stay the same.

I'd verify this, I'm sure the bolt pattern diagrams for the 72" and the 87" are available online. If they're not the same, I bet the QD mounts from the same manufacturer are sized to accommodate all their models; you could always install one of those.

Furthermore, as long as you stick with the same manufacturer, you should in theory be able to swap the motors out with little more headache than unbolting one and bolting on the other. The rest of the installation should stay the same.

I'd verify this, I'm sure the bolt pattern diagrams for the 72" and the 87" are available online. If they're not the same, I bet the QD mounts from the same manufacturer are sized to accommodate all their models; you could always install one of those.

Unfortunately not. The 87” requires a different puck. It’s heavy duty due to the weight and fulcrum position of the 87” shaft. But would be an easy change out. All other Terrova up to 72” DO INDEED have the same mounting quick release puck.

I have a 21SE with a Motor Guide Great White, 24 volt with a 60” shaft. I wish that I had the 72” shaft but the 60” works well fishing kelp lines and boiler rocks in Southern California coastal waters.

I see no need for the 87” model! Go with the 72” motor!

Attachments

• AE028F76-51D9-4BFE-839D-4968DA5FC7E9.jpeg
    AE028F76-51D9-4BFE-839D-4968DA5FC7E9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
I put a 72 in on my 23 Deep V Parker and I've never had a problem, and I'm regularly spot locking over ocean reefs. I suppose in Hurricane like conditions you might see a problem but I've never had one

I put a 72 in on my 23 Deep V Parker and I've never had a problem, and I'm regularly spot locking over ocean reefs. I suppose in Hurricane like conditions you might see a problem but I've never had one

I’d like to do the same on my ‘09 2300. Can you post some pictures showing how yours is mounted and you battery setup?

i stow my batteries under the casting platform i built. 36 Volt 72” on 23SE. I dont recommend copying my placement of the mount, interferes w anchor door and navigation light. But i really like the casting platform. 72” seems plenty in most conditions.

Attachments

• 616A73FC-84DD-47BA-9C19-6916A211F844.jpeg
    616A73FC-84DD-47BA-9C19-6916A211F844.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 31
Ive had my 23SE on wrecks off Chincoteague VA in a running tide and the trolling motor had no problems holding position. But mostly i fish on the Chesapeake Bay. Dont know how it would do on a pilot house.

i stow my batteries under the casting platform i built. 36 Volt 72” on 23SE. I dont recommend copying my placement of the mount, interferes w anchor door and navigation light. But i really like the casting platform. 72” seems plenty in most conditions.
Hey RonS, I like that casting platform you built! I have a 2019 23SE and am going to put on the same trolling motor. Any issues with that much battery weight forward? I was going to build a box to fit under the seat in front of the console, three group 31's will fit there if made to the contour of the console. I may go with lithiums and then weight won't be an issue. Thanks! Bob

Rum Runner I’ve had the mino kota on my 2320 hold for 7 hours + in 25kt winds and 3 foot chop with no problem

Bob, ive noticed no issues with the batteries up front. Had this setup since 2018. Wish i had an auto deploy trolling motor, can be a handful getting on the bow to pull the trolling motor sometimes. Seemed easier to reach the TM without the platform.

This is interesting to hear. Where do you fish out of? I would love to know that a 72" would be long enough for my 21DV CC bit I have not talked to any one that has one. I tried a 60" shaft I own from my past boat and it is unusable due to the shaft being too short.

Here are a few pictures of my Rhodan install on my 1801 for reference. To have the motor “onboard”and not interfering with hatch- which was a convenient place to place plug out of the way and weather- it had to hang off a bit. I placed a piece of 1/2 Starboard and mounted 3 big bolts through front deck and one through Starboard. Rock solid.

Removed bowlight and placed new port/starboard lights as the motor obstructed the former.

I also installed “optional” support ram- why would you want your 2K machine bouncing around?

I got a cover also to keep protect the unit and keep prying eyes averted in my public marina- why advertise?
7716B5E9-6918-48A2-82A8-FDB3A571A79A.jpegA76D122B-DD34-4BD7-A277-9C36AFEF733D.jpeg50665E6E-91A1-4CFF-AE02-ABC41108FD19.jpeg29DEED57-21BE-4DD2-81FC-3AD9BE4821C3.jpeg839AEB79-1AB0-4090-8143-9A45427C8B92.jpeg894CD9BF-D447-40FC-8857-B28E93A32263.jpeg

Attachments

• 8AD41D1F-D13B-4F46-9A5C-BD2FAAE577F3.jpeg
    8AD41D1F-D13B-4F46-9A5C-BD2FAAE577F3.jpeg
    837.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back