Minn Kota Sizing Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2000 Parker 2300. I measured from the bow to the water line and got 38" (not including the affect of my weight leaning over to measure). This was not all the way at the front. Where can I find the "usable" length of trolling motor shafts? I suspect a 72" trolling motor is not measured from under the mount to the thruster. I would like to go with a 60" minn kota. Can anyone tell me the usable shaft on a 72 and a 60? Many thanks

I will post pictures of the set up when I can, boat is under a cover right now but probably will be broken out for the water this weekend. I have a small plate that positions the motor in such a way that the shaft is over the gunnels and I have 3 series 31 batteries that fit just fine in the console directly behind and beside the cables. It seems to me that Parker must build these consoles with the idea that you may be sticking 3 big batteries in that console because they fit perfectly.

As some background, I was set on the 87 from advice on THT and this site, but my local Parker shop insisted that the 72 would be fine. I trust my local guys and went with the 72. I've been out in some snotty weather and still able to spot lock without any cavitation. The worst day we had to call it because my two "crew" were throwing up over the side, and the wind was 20 mph+, yet the spot lock was working great with no cavitation.

Maybe if you were a charter captain and simply couldn't risk having to go out in miserable conditions and having cavitation problems I suppose the 87 makes sense, but for me the 72 fits the bill just fine. However, don't mistake any of the above for expert advice.

Great thread, I learned alot. Thanks for all the info everyone.

I will post pictures of the set up when I can, boat is under a cover right now but probably will be broken out for the water this weekend. I have a small plate that positions the motor in such a way that the shaft is over the gunnels and I have 3 series 31 batteries that fit just fine in the console directly behind and beside the cables. It seems to me that Parker must build these consoles with the idea that you may be sticking 3 big batteries in that console because they fit perfectly.

As some background, I was set on the 87 from advice on THT and this site, but my local Parker shop insisted that the 72 would be fine. I trust my local guys and went with the 72. I've been out in some snotty weather and still able to spot lock without any cavitation. The worst day we had to call it because my two "crew" were throwing up over the side, and the wind was 20 mph+, yet the spot lock was working great with no cavitation.

Maybe if you were a charter captain and simply couldn't risk having to go out in miserable conditions and having cavitation problems I suppose the 87 makes sense, but for me the 72 fits the bill just fine. However, don't mistake any of the above for expert advice.

Interesting, my Parker dealer is insisting to go with an 87” as that is how they are rigging others. He is also making it sound that like the setup just doesn’t work well because those boats aren’t built with a trolling motor in mind so they have had to do a lot of extra wire runs and creative battery placement. Granted, mine is an ‘09. Thanks for the info and looking forward to seeing pics of your setup

I just ordered an 87" for my 2100DV. Now the wait! Hoping for a quick delivery.

Don't hold your breath...I ordered mine last October, it came in 3 weeks ago. Ordered the quick release bracket March 1st...still waiting for that. Hopefully they've worked through all the back orders and are getting caught up. Just another symptom of the times!

Dover Marine in NH. They checked all over amongst many distributors...no one had one. I think it depends alot on what model, power and shaft length.

Pictures of my install, as promised.

Attachments

• mjhgf.jpg
    mjhgf.jpg
    860.6 KB · Views: 37
  • lkjhg.jpg
    lkjhg.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 876543.jpg
    876543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Pictures of my install, as promised.

Very interesting install. I will have to consider this option. I ordered the 84" Rhodan 36v. I am considering removing my anchor pulpit (mine is much smaller than yours as you can see in the attached picture) and changing my nav lights to the ones that go in the rub rail to open up the full bow of the boat for the the trolling motor install. Naturally I'd glass in all of the remaining holes that weren't used for the install.

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Back