MOB electronic kill switch....reason to get one

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inshore Chaser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week, 8/19, a boater was lost off the Great Egg Inlet near Ocean City N.J. Heard from a reliable source today that the 2 fisherman were trying to make it to the inlet (from outside) before a storm hit. Apparently the boat hit a wave causing 1 man to fall into the other knocking both people into the water. The boat kept going. Local police found the empty boat ran aground in the inlet. They summoned the Coast Guard whom sent a helicopter and rescued 1 man and the other drowned. Terrible, sad story. Lesson learned a utilized kill switch probably could have saved the victim. These electronic kill switches are looking like a wise investment. Both men were in the water for quite sometime until the victim drowned. Or at least put on the PFD when things turn risky.

I just read that ACR introduced an electronic kill switch so I think there are at least 3 different brands of switches now available.

I would definitely be interested in hearing if anyone here has experience with an electronic kill switch... I spend a lot of time fishing on my boat by myself and this would give me so much more peace of mind.

If I'm fishing, I'm by myself. Wife gets seasick fishing. She got a MOB for me for Christmas and I like it.

I purchased a Fell MOB system in February 2019. The system gets used every time the boat is in gear. It works exactly as advertised.

I did have 1 issue though ...... this past summer I was 80 miles offshore, cruising at 3700 rpm and the motor cut-off. I thought it was strange but maybe I hit the MOB button sitting on my wrist by accident causing the engine to manually turn off. So I re-started the engine and went on my business. A few hours later the engine turns off again (while I was at 800 rpms). Called Fell. Spoke to Dennis and he advised that I needed to replace the "watch battery" in the FOB (the little button that you wear on your wrist or in your pocket) every season. I did replace it and I've had no problems since.

Additionally, it is a good feeling having that electronic tether on your wrist during storms, heavy seas, night operations or even just trolling. You can pair up to 4 people onto 1 unit so if the kids fall out, the engine will automatically shut-off.

Back