Mooring with O/B

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilowatts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this has probably been talked about but I was unable to locate any passed thread. I just purchased my first Parker, '07 2120 w/ the 150 o/b. This will be my first boat with an O/B and I'm wondering how owners deal with mooring. I'm in Northern California and my main Port (not actually a port more like a cove) will be Point Arena which doesn't have a ramp. There is a hoist with the operation hours of 0700 till 1600 which forces me to moor my boat during the week if I want to fish before or after work the peak of Salmon season. I will not have any access to pressurized fresh water. The boat will be on a cement block with no other access other than my 10' skiff and oars. What are the different opinions of mooring without rinsing? Do you raise the O/B out of the water? I can bring fresh water out in the skiff in water totes.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

3 bros plus my Dad (now gone ... ) and many friends, all on moorings ... never rinsed an OB in 45-years. We've been running an average of 11 OBs per season for the last dozen years or so ... just in my family. Perform full waterpump service every 2, no more than 3 seasons if light use, and replace t-stars. Add poppers if a Yummie motor.

Yes, raise out of water. Plus I take advantage of lightly rainy days to wade her down once or twice a season.

Note cement blocks weigh 1/2 the dry weight when wet and if making it yourself, use aggregate and make the base much wider than the top, so it can sink some into the mud so the edges grab.

Thanks I was hoping it was going to be that easy! No one else has a O/B around here. I'm the only sport guy that moors a boat, everyone else is commerial.

Ya I had some help on making my mooring from the local harbor master. It weighs 1200 pounds dry and calculated to weigh 800lbs wet due the 600 pounds of steel I put in. Also using 3 times the depth of water for mooring chain.

You will have to help on the t-stars and poppers? Not familiar with the o/b terms yet!

I think Dale is referring to T-stats (thermostats) and pressure relief valves in the cooling system.

Yes, I was referring the thermostats and poppit valves in the Yamaha cooling system.

FWIW we take advantage of any lightly - but steady - rainy day whilst on the mooring and I'll go there and completely wash her from stem to stern. Works for me!

I have a fresh water tank. I use that water if I can't access a hose and put glycol in the cold months to semi winterize her.

1st.....I can see...You guts have it rough! relighing on someone else to get stuff done is always a PITA....

So I gotta ask......How much does that cost to hoist a boat?

I can drive 7mi and put my skiff in the water on a public ramp.

Or call the marina and say " Put the Parker in the water." 30min. later it's sitting in the water via forklift.

And that is 3mi from Pensacola Pass to be in the Gulf.

warthog5":h6kj6oe7 said:
1st.....I can see...You guts have it rough! relighing on someone else to get stuff done is always a PITA....

So I gotta ask......How much does that cost to hoist a boat?

I can drive 7mi and put my skiff in the water on a public ramp.

Or call the marina and say " Put the Parker in the water." 30min. later it's sitting in the water via forklift.

And that is 3mi from Pensacola Pass to be in the Gulf.

It's $25 to launch your boat with the hoist which you can get down to $20 with a prepaid card. It is a PITA but it has it's benefits! You can sink your own mooring and it's free to be in the water for as long as you like. The hoist is only five miles from my house. The next closest real launch ramp is 40 miles south or 50 miles south down scenic hwy 1 that is a cork screw. There is a river to launch in 20 miles north but it has to be a plus 2' tide to get out of the mouth.

The other biggest benefit is that not many people are set up to hoist there boat. You have to have your own straps, etc. Last year during the peak of salmon season I talked to my buddy fishing out of Bodega Bay(50 miles south) and he said there were over 300 boats and my hoist harbor had less than 12. Rock fishing is way better as we'll!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 148

Latest posts

Back