Motor Quits when Trim Switch is Used...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilfish

Reaction score
Well, the subject outlined the original problem. The battery switch was on both, I was idling out of the marina when I tried to trim the engine down. Everything quit as soon as I hit the switch.

Later, I got the engine to refire with #1 batt because #2 would not crank the engine. But the electronics slowly died and would not power back on, even with the engine running when I switched from batt #1 to batt #2 to see what the charging voltage was on that battery. After switching back to #1, they still wouldn't power up with the engine running.

Any ideas on either problem? Looks like a boat-less Memorial Day weekend for me unless I can get this fixed.

I just had the same problem. Thought that it was the power trim relay switch on the motor so I switched that out to find same problem occurring. Ended up tracing all wires back from there and found a 12 inch battery cable that was running from the switch to the battery completely rotten. So after the $300 relay didn’t work, the $7 part fixed it. Well good luck!

Battery connectors or cables.

Had the same problem with mine years ago. Traced it to corroded connectors at the battery terminals.

I moved all the wires to large posts on the transom, then used a large gauge wire from the transom to the battery. Problem solved. That stopped the corrosion on all the smaller wires, and made cleaning the large single wires/posts much easier.

I have a thread in the Projects forum on that project.

Dave

aka

All of the above and check your altenator to make sure it's charging the batteries.

Should be an easy fix.

Ground, had the same problem once. I was running at 4200 RPM's and it was just like a kill switch. Hit the trim and the engine stalled. Let go of the switch and the engine ran great. When I slowed down to an idle I hit the trim switch again and it killed the engine. Traced it back and I had a loose ground wire to that engine.

Could be corrosion also, but I agree with above it should be an easy fix.

Thanks all. I'm going to get to the boat ASAP and check the connections and the condition of the cables.

Probably get a new battery or two as well!

Latest posts

Back