Motor Tilt Indicator

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SommerTime

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen: When I have a question or problem I go to this web site looking for answers to my question.
Here is the question: I have twin 150hp Yamaha motors. One of the motor's tilt gauge on the dash shows "One Bar" tilt up. Is there an adjustment on the motor to sync the gauge with the actual position of the motor.

Yes here is. The tilt position lever is held by 2 screws on the port side on the inside of the motor's bracket that bolts to the transom or OB bracket. The holes for the screws on the plastic housing are slotted, so you can loosen the screws (hit them in HARD with a hammer to 'break' if difficult to turn, plus use penetrating oil) ... and then "tilt" the housing to show more or less desired number of bars. It ain't perfect, you may need to test - reposition - and retest.

While at it, I'd remove those bolts 1 at a time and clean and grease with good marine grease. I had one frozen in a '96 Yam 200hp and it needed a 'heat hammer' to remove it ... good thing the trim housing was shot anyway ... the heat kinda melted it ;) !

See? We're your 1-stop Owner's Manual!

Most of the time the lever on the switch is just gummed up and won't move. Find it on the mounting bracket ,and usually you can just spray a little wd-40 on it and move the lever up and down to loosen it up. I have done this on many Yamahas. The newer Yamahas have just a metal or plastic band with one screw, there is a tab on it that the movable lever sits against. I have had them break and turn on the mount. If that's the style you have they are reasonably cheap and can be purchased at your Yamaha Dealer. When you replace it the band has a dimple on it that sits in a recess on the mounting tube. This will assure that the gauge will read properly. Good Luck..

Thanks everyone for your reply. I am having a hard time picturing what you are telling me until I go to the boat in a couple of days and put my eyes on the lever. I will report back after the boat visit in a few days.

Tilt Gauge Lever: Had the same issue, if newer yamaha, the service mngr at 3A Marine showed me this tip.
The tilt gauge lever that records the tilt level is stuck.
Tilt engine all the way up, look for a plastic lever like thingamajig just inside of the main arm that the engine tilts up and down on. This will be under the engine just above the top mounting bolts but inside of those bolts were the main tilt piston rod connects to the engine. It is most likely is glued up with grease making it stick and then not registering and "bars" on the screen. Spray this lever and spring with WD 40 or CRC then carefully work free with hand a few times. Then spray some more to really free up. You shoud see the bars now on the tilt gauge accurately reocording the level of tilt.

I this is not the fix, buy a whole new boat going up in size and horse power :D

Latest posts

Back