Moving batteries

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Ronnie

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the layout of the 2320 below deck areas up front of the cabin ?
I'm sure I can call the engineers at Parker for some advise, but figured I would ask here 1st.
I'm referring to where the cushions are placed, and more specific the front v shaped cushion.
Under the 2 outer side cushions there are hatches on both sides, the stb is for storage, the stb is where they have my y valve for the toilet and a thru hull for the overboard waste.
In front of the toilet and where the v shaped cushion sits, I think I may be able to cut a hole and put my batteries down in there.
Any thoughts on doing this good or bad idea?
I'm not sure about it needing to be vented for vapors.
and naturally I would have to put down a platform to mount the battery boxes.
Thanks

Not sure what is up there since yours is a 2003 and mine is 2006. You won't be able to mount any bats inside unless you buy some AGM bats which don't off gas. If feasible, I still think the deck compartment in front of the pilot house door would be an excellent place. If the compartment is not vented well you may have to invest in the AGMs. Get a good quality deck hatch to keep them dry.

jim

grouperjim":32aoxx5g said:
Not sure what is up there since yours is a 2003 and mine is 2006. You won't be able to mount any bats inside unless you buy some AGM bats which don't off gas. If feasible, I still think the deck compartment in front of the pilot house door would be an excellent place. If the compartment is not vented well you may have to invest in the AGMs. Get a good quality deck hatch to keep them dry.

jim

I would like to put them there, but I have a flushing toilet and my holing tank is down there!

My wife is bucket trained so I don't have that problem. As matter of fact, if you want the porta poti that came with my boat (mounts all the way up front the PH) you can have it. That would free up room for the bats in the deck which IMO is more of a priority. Taking that much weight from the extreme rear of CG and then moving to the extreme forward of CG (bow) would change things... to much IMO.

jim

grouperjim":khmugfsj said:
My wife is bucket trained so I don't have that problem. As matter of fact, if you want the porta poti that came with my boat (mounts all the way up front the PH) you can have it. That would free up room for the bats in the deck which IMO is more of a priority. Taking that much weight from the extreme rear of CG and then moving to the extreme forward of CG (bow) would change things... to much IMO.

jim

The flushing toilet was pretty much a waste of $2000.00
It's pretty impossible for an adult to sit in it, it's ok for the kids though.

I would leave one battery in the stern to start the engine. I have a group 31 in the stern and 2 group 24 AGM's under the passenger seat in the cabin. With the 31 shut off, I can't turn over my engine with 6 guage cables connected to the 24's. You would probably need 2 guage welding cables all the way up front--even then it'll be ify.

As to the v-berth area. that's one of the few places I haven't cut into. If I were the builder, I would fill that space with foam. Let us know what you find. The anchor weep hole drains thru that area so ventilation shouldn't be a problem.

I decided to add a bank of 2 Group 31 AGM batteries to my 2320. I did not want to make a hole in the floor. I also felt that the boat's handling characeristics would be best served if the batteries were centrally located. After puzzling through the solution to the question of where to put them, I figured out that the best place to get them "out of the way" would be to "hide them in plain sight."

I therefore built a battery box which acts like a step right in front of the door inside the cabin. The batteries sit end to end secured by nylon web straps.

The box is built from epoxy coated marine plywood and there is an outer shell of Starboard (seafoam color). There are nonslip treads on top and strategically placed drain holes on the bottom on the front and sides to allow water in the cabin to drain into the floor drain well. The batteries are also raised slightly on rubber bumpers to allow drainage.

The lid is held down by a latch.

In this location wiring is easy. The battery cables exit on the exposed side of the box where I located the main circuit breaker for this battery bank. When closed, the box serves as a step, an extra place to sit, and a place for someone sitting on the bench seat to stretch out his feet.

I have had the boat out for several trips since installing the batteries and I am quite satisfied that all my needs were met by this setup.

Attachments

• DSC01323Battery Box.jpg
    DSC01323Battery Box.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,129
  • DSC01327Battery box.jpg
    DSC01327Battery box.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,129
joshdad":2f5yjv5v said:
I decided to add a bank of 2 Group 31 AGM batteries to my 2320. I did not want to make a hole in the floor. I also felt that the boat's handling characeristics would be best served if the batteries were centrally located. After puzzling through the solution to the question of where to put them, I figured out that the best place to get them "out of the way" would be to "hide them in plain sight."

I therefore built a battery box which acts like a step right in front of the door inside the cabin. The batteries sit end to end secured by nylon web straps.

The box is built from epoxy coated marine plywood and there is an outer shell of Starboard (seafoam color). There are nonslip treads on top and strategically placed drain holes on the bottom on the front and sides to allow water in the cabin to drain into the floor drain well. The batteries are also raised slightly on rubber bumpers to allow drainage.

The lid is held down by a latch.

In this location wiring is easy. The battery cables exit on the exposed side of the box where I located the main circuit breaker for this battery bank. When closed, the box serves as a step, an extra place to sit, and a place for someone sitting on the bench seat to stretch out his feet.

I have had the boat out for several trips since installing the batteries and I am quite satisfied that all my needs were met by this setup.

The step down into the cabin of my 2003 2320SC is atleast 1/2 of you newer 2320!
My roof is higher also!

DaleH":2nw72pw4 said:
Ventilation ... :?: ??

Looks like a sweet idea!

Dale,

I am using AGM batteries so I don't really know how much ventilation I need. Nevertheless if the batteries gas at all they will be giving off hydrogen gas which as H2 is a pretty small molecule that will quickly pass out of the box around the edges of the lid. I can assure you that nothing I've ever built is tight enough to keep hydrogen in. Beyond that I always run with at least one window or door open so I think the cabin is well ventilated for the purposes of my setup.

Any concern beyond this applies to anyone who has batteries located within the cabin.

Do you think I need any more ventilation than that? What would you suggest?

I'm certainly interested in your comments.

regards,

Found this info online about AGMs. You've got it right.

AGM's do not have any liquid to spill, and even under severe overcharge conditions hydrogen emission is far below the 4% max specified for aircraft and enclosed spaces. The plates in AGM's are tightly packed and rigidly mounted, and will withstand shock and vibration better than any standard battery.

AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes.

jim

jim

lol

Bigger trim tab blades may come before battery relocation. I can see benefits for sure of the relocation, but your batteries will take more of a beating, and as mentioned, you will need long beefy cables. I take it you are trying to get the stern up.
I replaced my blades (only the blades, didn't need to move or alter actuators). Don't know if you are that lucky.
With my tab upsize, solo, half tank of gas and light I got these numbers the other day. I have a Permatrim and Rev 4 with 4.2liter F300. I could not get the 3.1 MPGs until I added the bigger blades. My 2 heavy AGM 31s are in the back. The boat will barely run 50mph at 6000 RPM rigged and loaded like this (Pretty light, IOW).
In retrospect, I wish I had swapped tab blades before installing the permatrim.

IMG_20240315_180007023_HDR.jpgIMG_20240315_175745736_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Also, you may check into an endoscope wifi camera off Amazon. You can fish it through the deck and see everything, plus take photos.
You're the project manager, just offering options.

Back