Moving Racor water seperator / fuel filter?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rplas48

Reaction score
I have the 2120 SC with the Racor clear bowl fuel/water seperator located in the bilge. I understand that regs require a metal bowl when the filter is located below decks even for an outboard. I like the idea of the clear bowl which allows easy inspection. Am thinking of relocating the filter in the starboard battery compartment.
Any concerns you folks can think of???

Thanks.

Ray

NMMA standards using ABYC guidelines: In the battery storage standard it states that the batteries must be no closer than 12" from any metallic part of the fuel system.

thanks jc. I guess I'll leave it where it is.

Ray

I thought that regulation applied only for an inboard or IO? I have a clear bowl in my bilge, and so do thousands of other boaters.

96TL....that is what I thought to. But I spoke with the Coast Guard Aux at a local boat show and he said any filter located below decks regardless of the type of engine had to be metal. The battery compartment would have been ideal as it also provides better access but that looks like its out.

Any body else have thoughts on this.

Ray

I am a VE with the USCGA and answering this question is not within my immediate knowlege base. In order to understand all of the requirements you have to go to the CFR33 This is where all the boat builders get their specs) and read all about it. Additionally Racor and other filter makers state where their clear bowls can be used. My first repsonse is that clear bowls can be almost anywhere on an outboard apllication. The main problem is heat on the plastic bowls in engine compartments.

I'd rather it be located protected and away from the elements. I could picture someone hooking an exposed gas line but I guess you could also wrap the lines with some of that black plastic used to bundle electrical wires. I think I am going to leave it where it is in the bilge.

Ray

grouperjim
I saw that thread awhile back. Part of it talks about the clear bowl not allowed in an unvented bilge. But the 2120Sc and I suspect othe Parkers are vented by way of the two 2inch pvc cable raceways that start on either side in the bilge, run into the battery boxes and then out the top of the boxes. Plenty of ventilation imho.

Ray

rplas48":1kamv1hm said:
But I spoke with the Coast Guard Aux at a local boat show and he said any filter located below decks regardless of the type of engine had to be metal.
That is a gross mis-interpretation of that standard. That WOULD apply if the vessel was a vessel for hire though.

optimaxfish":236fgqwu said:
DaleH":236fgqwu said:
rplas48":236fgqwu said:
But I spoke with the Coast Guard Aux at a local boat show and he said any filter located below decks regardless of the type of engine had to be metal.
That is a gross mis-interpretation of that standard. That WOULD apply if the vessel was a vessel for hire though.

yep coast guard thinks it ok to blow yourself up, just cant blow up paying passengers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back