My Father

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
My farm to me is not just land
Where bare unpainted buildings stand -
To me, my farm is nothing less
Than all created loveliness.

My farm is not where
I must soil
My hands in endless dreary toil
But where, through seed and swelling pod
I've learned to walk and talk with God.

My farm, to me, is not a place
Outmoded by the modern race
For here, I think, I just see less
Of evil, greed, and selfishness.

My farm's a haven – here dwells rest,
Security and happiness -
Whate'er befalls the world outside
Here faith and hope and love abide.

And so my farm is not just land
Where bare unpainted buildings stand -
To me, my farm is nothing less
Than all God's hoarded loveliness.

There is a port of no return, where ships
May ride at anchor for a little space
And then, some starless night, the cable slips,
Leaving an eddy at the mooring place . . .
Gulls, veer no longer. Sailor, rest your oar.
No tangled wreckage will be washed ashore.

My dad passed away on 17 January. He was buried in the Virginia Veteran's Cemetery with full military honors (honor guard, taps, 21 gun salute, flag).

He was my fishing partner, best friend, mentor, and confidant. He was a Great American. He was a rtired Naval Submariner; a WWII veteran. A fisherman, a farmer, a carpenter. He was also a retired Deputy Secretary from DOE.

He was loved because he touched each person with whom he came in contact. He was and still is loved.

He had 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and 12 great grand children.

When the young sailor handed me the flag and said what he said, I was looking directly into his eyes. They were the exact same hazel gray color of my daddy's. I was doing my best to maintain my military bearing but my chin was quivering and my eyes were tearing up as I noticed.

"Rangerdog" John

My condolences for your loss. My father was a navy vet of WWII. He passed away in 1988 and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. He taught me the love of fishing and hunting, and to look at a man's character before judging him. He still lives in me and your father still lives in you.
Coach Bob

John

my condolences thoughts and prayers to you and your family

Very sad to hear of your loss. Your father sounds like a "Real" man. You should be proud of him as I am for his service to our country. I work with my father every day and he is my best friend. Even at my age I still learn from him all the time. My condolences.

John, sorry to hear about your loss. My Dad passed away 3 years ago and I still tear up when I think of how proud he would have been when the Marine honor guard handed me the flag. God's peace to you and your family.

wayne

Sorry to hear about your loss,just remember your dad will forever be there fishing with you.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad about six years ago I keep his Parker hat on my dash he goes on every fishing trip with me.God bless!

John, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Your dad sounds like he was a great person.
Do you have any fishing photos of your dad?

I too lost my dad recently (Oct 09). Like your dad, mine was a Navy vet of WWII and Korea.
Due to his health issues, I only had him out on my boat once, but it was certainly a day to remember!

We were bait fishing on-the-hook at Hacketts Bar in 35' of water.
At one point I looked at the sounder and it was reading 5.5'...
Reason was, a school of blues had moved in and totally blocked the sounder.
We bailed fish all afternoon!

Couldn't have asked for a better day.

It is good that you have those good fishing memories. :wink:

Attachments

• Dad002.jpg
    Dad002.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 274
dad10.JPG

dad20.JPG

dadfish.JPG

dec2005crew.jpg

jtfishboca.JPG

Wow! nice tribute to a life well-lived :!:

I pray that the fond memories of him will be cherished always and comfort your loss.

My condolences.

Never thought I would tear up on Classic Parker.

Note to self: take my father fishing (he's 82 and WWII vet himself).

John,

Haven't been on regularly and I missed the initial announcement. Sorry.

You have my condolences and I know that he must have known how you felt about him. What a comfort that must have been to him in his final hours.

Hang in there man....

John
You got to me with those photos
Looks to me you and your Dad where very blessed!
Loved the Photo of him in the Navy
Looks like when you cross the Equator for the first time
Was a their once myself
Was and is a hero and a farther
God bless you and yours

John,
My condolences to you and your family. It sounds like your Dad was a great man. The relationship and memories will always be with you. I used to fish with my Father once a week since I was a kid. He passed away about 12 years ago. Its still tough to fish by myself and I now prefer to only fish with my family or friends. Although I don't think you ever get over the loss of a parent, time does ease the pain.

Back