Navman 2100 fuel computer replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
Asked the question in the Marine Electronics forum area...
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16843

After research and testing, I found that the Navman was borked and needed to be replaced. :(

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 150
Contacted Jim Maier at BOE Marine to see what I could replace the Navman with, and his reply was the same as some of the folks in the Marine Electronics section.
Jim recommended a Lowrence LMF-200 as I wanted the same form factor as my old Navman, and I wanted something simple.
All I wanted was fuel burn (in gph), a low fuel alarm, fuel burned, and fuel remaining.

Now, for the record, I am not a fan of Lowrence products, but this item seemed to do the things I wanted without breaking the bank.
I was willing to take a chance.

First step was to lay all of the parts out and get ready to install.
I started with the fuel transducer first.

The transducer was mounted to the back of the transom (as was the previous Navman 'ducer) using stick on mounts and zip ties to keep the 'ducer vertical and secure.
I used the backing plate of the engine bracket to keep everything secure.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 150
Running the transducer wire wasn't difficult, but it was time consuming.
As I ran the new cable, I was also removing the old cable... on my back... in 90 degree heat and 85% humidity.
No big deal, but tedious.

Once the transducer wire was run, it was time to fit the head unit.
Wouldn't you know, the new head unit was maybe 1/64" bigger than the old hole. :roll:
Time to break out the wood rasp and cut and fit, and cut and fit, and cut and fit two dozen times until the head unit slid in.

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
No photos of the wiring process as it is cramped, dark, and oh so hot. :shock:
I did shoot a shot of where I mounted the speaker to the left of the helm area (under the remnants of a mud dauber wasp nest. :?
Works great there, and is totally out of sight and out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 148
After all of this, I turned on the power and started the setup procedure.
What a royal pain in the ass.

I can appreciate that Lowrance puts their stuff on a NMEA 2000 network so you can link all of your stuff together, but I don't want that.
I was successful in telling the unit I had one motor, one tank, and it was 120 gallons.
I think I even told it I wanted fuel flow (in gph) to be my primary screen.

I need to spend tonight with the manual trying to figure out how to set my low fuel alarm as well as fuel used and fuel remaining.
Honestly, that is all I want.

Why do these companies have to pack all of their 'features' into a product you want to be simple?
I will update this thread after I figure it all out.
Stay tuned.

Nice install. Good to know there is an equivalent out there to the basic Navman. I'm not sure what the capabilities are with the new Yamaha gauges, it may even have fuel totalizing, but if not, I'll look closer at this little beauty.

Yes, the new(er) Yamaha gages have the ability to do exactly what I want to do.
Unfortunately, my setup pre-dates that technology. :|

Going to the boat now to see if I can a flow rate.
Got to get this thing dialed in.

Back