Need HELP - OB stuck won't trim/raise/lower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goinsfishin

Reaction score
Came in from fishing the other day and can't raise the motor. I can hear the trim motor engage when I activate the switchs (both helm and on engine) but doesnt raise or lower( it's trimmed up about a bar).
Engine is an 89 Yamaha 200 EFTX 2 stroke.
Can anyone help with some troubleshooting or suggestions?

I posted this on THT and all I got was check the fluid.....the problem is I've always been under the impression that trim hydraulics were closed sysytems and have no idea how to check it.
I have no experience with the system and have never had a problem on multiple boats.
So if someone could walk me thru what I need to do and how, I'd appreciate it.

BTW- the boat is wet-slipped and winter storage is included so I don't have a trailer.....I'd like to avoid having it pulled if possible.

Thanks Dale...exactly what I was looking for.
I have calm water at the marina and about 3 1/2 ft of water at extreme low tide......guess I'm going for a dip tomorrow afternoon.
I knew CP would come thru !!

UPDATE -
My neighbor Ron and I met at the marina this afternoon and worked on the problem. Relief valve was very tight, finally managed to break it loose. Tried to raise the engine both of us pulling from the deck, no dice. Finally untied stern and spring lines pulled close to the dock, got a line around the bottom of the LU and hauled, Ron on the dock and me in the boat, motor came right up. Found the seal cap? (dust cap?) was loose on the lower port piston. Tightened it up as best as possible and tapped with a drift to seat, guess you need a special spanner tool of some kind to seat properly. Filled with hydraulic fluid and cycled up and down. Wouldn't go back down a second time.....added more fluid and cycled again..success! Repeated 3 times adding fluid as the unit self bled.
I kept a careful eye and didn't see any obvious leakage from seals or fittings...hope that's the end of the issue. If not I'll deal with it then.
Noticed that the hydraulic motor housing is looking pretty rusty, gonna add that to my winter list....I happened to find an old Yammy 175 of about the same vintage that has a blown powerhead....I think I can get it to scavenge parts just to remove it from the owners yard. As far as I can tell the engines share the same frame and accessories.
Lesson learned here?
Since I've never had an issue with the hydraulic lift on numerous boats over the years I had assumed they were closed sealed systems....woe to me.
Be sure to add this to your regular maintenance plan.
Many Thanks to all who offerred advice and assistance, I truly appreciate it.
Steve Goins

Back