Need Opinions on Dinghies...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
I want to spend more time on our barrier islands here on the Eastern Shore and when the water is cold the best way to do that is to anchor the boat in water deep enough where I don't get stranded on low tide and hop in a dinghie that I've carried out on the boat.

I'm considering rigid vs inflatable, 2 person, 7 to 10 feet long. I'll only need to row about 50 yards max from boat to beach and would do this on the back side of the islands with no surf.

I've even thought of a small canoe.

The advantage of an inflatable is it could be broken down for storage.

On the other hand a rigid is always ready and can easily be carried in the cockpit.... although on those multi purpose days fishing would be not so easy.

Any thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Richard

I used to have an inflatable kayak from WestMarine. Rolled up compact and worked well for not alot of money.

I tell you, not that I would do it, but I see people towing inflatables "pass me" when I'll be cruising @ 21 knots or maybe a tad more. Due to the more flexible design of the inflatable, they do appear more stable under tow. I would NEVER tow a rigid hull that fast.

Also, best place to position a dingy under tow is behind the crest of the 2nd wave.

I use my bros dinghy all the time, with oars, but I bring it inside the cockpit. If going rigid, I find the old 8' Eli brand dingys to be the best! FYI, I put an old "wet" towel over the gunnel before bringing aboard. The wet keeps it in place ;) and the towel prevents damaging my frp.

i have some experience with a west marine (by zodiac) 8' inflatable. The floor is inflatable, however it is SUPER easy to inflate...just roll out flat, inflate the tube, inflate the floor, and insert the seats into the notches, and launch... the whole thing weighs maybe 75 lbs or so, and it is tough as nails.

the one I was using had a 9.8 nissan on it, and it was a mini rocketship

From what I've found so far an inflatable is the way to go.

I'm amazed at how many makers of inflatables there are. For what I need rowing will be all that's needed but it will be hard not to buy a small motor for it.

esfishdoc":3kxjdk2l said:
From what I've found so far an inflatable is the way to go.

I'm amazed at how many makers of inflatables there are. For what I need rowing will be all that's needed but it will be hard not to buy a small motor for it.

get the little outboard :D makes life so much easier. inflatables dont row real great, even a little 2 hp will save your arms and back much anguish. if i were you, i would choose the boat based upon the material, Hypalon rather than PVC. as far as i understand, Hypalon can be heat welded to form a 100% seal, whereas PVC can only be glued together. i had a Zodiac inflatable that i bought used that had been stored improperly, the seams rotted out of it almost immediately. the welded boats cost a bit more initially, but except for any holes you put in them they will stay bulletproof for years and years.

(editors note: i may have the materials mixed up. check with whoever you decide to buy from.)

picked up my 10 foot inflatable at west marine I stow in the space under the V berth where the porti poti would be it fits prefect. I'm not familure with laws in your state but here in Ca. if you mount a motor on a dingy you have to register it as a power boat then theres the SAFETY of carrying a can a gas on the boat !!!! stick with the oars we row about 150 yards from the can to the beach and we all could you the work out LOL

is it ok for me to post a reply yet, or am i still on the Prospect List?
I clearly said I do not have a motor on the dingy because here in Ca. it would have to be registerd as a power boat, in your state i'm sure the laws a not the same.

Buddy":33kpee8d said:
is it ok for me to post a reply yet, or am i still on the Prospect List?
I clearly said I do not have a motor on the dingy because here in Ca. it would have to be registerd as a power boat, in your state i'm sure the laws a not the same.

Gotta love the country of CA. I feel for ya :D

We have to register as well but in MD up to 5hp it is very inexpensive.

Back