New 2510 with twin 200 Yamahas vibration/shudder

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayB

Reaction score
Boat and motor have about 6 hours (2018 leftover). Since the first trip out I experience mild vibration/shuddering throughout the boat when in forward gear at idle speed ( don't recall the rpm at which it goes away). Not in neutral. I have run each motor alone and experience it. At higher rpm's they run fine. Any thoughts?
Jay

My 2520 XLD with twin 200XCAs does it also. When brand spanking new it would vibrate up to about 1000 rpm. Now if I get them to 800 rpms it goes away (170 hours). When you have the break in service done ask them to remove, grease and re-torque the props. The damper hub on the Yamaha props "bounces" a little bit causing the vibration was what I was told.

At the 20 hour service I will have props removed lubed and retorqued. I am really not in the mood to get new props for brand new motors for $1000 (although they will probably solve the probem).
Not sure which mounting holes used and boat is up high in dry storage. Will check next time I go out. Motors were mounted by Parker at the factory. Frustrating.
Thanks guys
Jay

I tried out a set of Reliance 18 props with the SDS hubs and they rattled so bad in gear at idle speed that shook the whole boat. I sent them back and picked up a set of Reliance 17’s non-SDS hubs and don’t have any rattling. The other props apparently were not balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swap out hubs to Mercury Flo Torq IV hubs. We switched from standard three blade black yamaha props to Merc rev 4s which are a heavy 4 blade prop. We experienced the "prop chatter" at idle up to about 1000 RPM and then it would go away. Put those hubs on and it was smoother than with the standard yammie props. Those hubs are designed to have a slight bit of play front/to back so when you install don't be concerned

got_em_on":1h6iu4r4 said:
Swap out hubs to Mercury Flo Torq IV hubs. We switched from standard three blade black yamaha props to Merc rev 4s which are a heavy 4 blade prop. We experienced the "prop chatter" at idle up to about 1000 RPM and then it would go away. Put those hubs on and it was smoother than with the standard yammie props. Those hubs are designed to have a slight bit of play front/to back so when you install don't be concerned
I did the same thing with the same results

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The props may be out of balance. I had a pair of reliance props and they rattled the boat something fierce at idle but if you bumped it up 50-100 rpm it was fine. Turned out the props were out of balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the OP describes is very common with all motors but especially Yamaha. It's called "prop chatter" as others have already mentioned. Normally, using a rubber bushing in the hub of the prop removed the chatter at low RPM's but such doesn't appear to be the case with the OP.
My Mercury Enertia ECO with the hard plastic hub insert with rattle at 800 rpm. The Yamaha SWS with the SDS rubber hub doesn't rattle at all. But I use the ECO prop because of the better performance.

Back