New Boat Question Walkaround vs Pilothouse?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
Gentleman;
Hi I am new to this site and would like to ask about a 2510 walkaround. I am currently looking at a new one and would like to ask for any owner imput. It seems on most sites and owner testimonials most 25 series boats are pilot houses not many walk arounds. I was wondering if they were not popular over the pilot house and why. Initially I was taken in to Parker because of a used 2520XL pilot house at a boat dealer near me that was loaded with options. I then saw some new ones at the boat show and the prices werent much higher.

Thanks
Tom

There are plenty of WA owners here...... gotta be careful though... some of us PH owners might try and get you into a PH. The beauty of it is there is something for everybody.

While you are waiting for other responses: Where do you live... where will you do your boating.......what kind of fishing do you do? (you do fish....?)

Just kidding....

Enjoy the hunt of the perfect Parker.

Richard

Tom:
I have a 21 walk around, a 1989 with a 2004 150 Yammer. I love it. Of couse I love it- it is my first boat! The cabin is great for storage and for the kids to ride in and sleep from time to time. Plenty of room to fish and for passangers for a cruise. No top at all, not even a bimini- I like the fresh air and sun burn! I am actually hoping a hard top fits into my budget in the next few years. Here is a picture of what I have- If you have specific questions then ask away.
Good luck to you

Attachments

• DSC00542 (Small).JPG
    DSC00542 (Small).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,263
I have a 2007 2510 XLD and couldn't be happier with it. I am a fair-weather boater, so I don't need the protection of the pilothouse. I can roll up the side and back curtains and get plenty of breeze. If the weather does turn, down go the curtains and there is plenty of weather protection. I like the fact that there is no step-down from the helm to the back of the boat. My friend has a Grady 23 and I am always forgetting to step up or down. I like the hardtop... room to mount electronics and storage for life jackets and charts underneath. I could go on... if you have specific questions, ask away. Lots of folks here who love the pilothouse, so you should have plenty of opinions.

Attachments

• parker 021 (Medium).jpg
    parker 021 (Medium).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,154
I don’t know where you do your boating so I won’t give an opinion on what you should do, I will just leave it to why I got a pilothouse.

I wanted a walkaround for years and when it came time for me to buy my dream boat the major swing to a pilothouse was due to my wife having breast cancer and receiving chemotherapy 10 years ago. She is supposed to stay out of the sun. Now that I have the pilothouse, I cannot even believe I wanted a walkaround. Don’t get me wrong, my friends all have walkarounds and I love to fish with them. I am an outside guy and love the sun and fresh air. But I can tell you I do a lot of traveling in the afternoon and I don’t mind moving at night and it is real nice to be inside. I guess if I fished mostly in fair weather and my trips were short I would rather have the walkaround.

The only negative I have found that bothered me at first was your limited visibility. I’ve since adjusted to that and my feeling of comfort has returned so I vote for the pilothouse.

Like a guy I know out here on the west coast says, “It’s always summertime in a pilothouse”.

Good luck with your choice and remember, everything with a boat involves some give and take.

I have a '92 2310 and love it. The curtains give me all the protection that I need. I boat in northern MA on the coast from April 15 to around November 15.

But that, of course, is a personal opinion based on my needs and comfort level. I don't have a family to consider.

Best wishes with your decision.

Mac

I am a fan of both layouts. Here is how I see the advantages of each

Pilothouse:
1. fully enclosed helm station for bad weather
2. slightly larger cockpit woth more forward helm
3. No pipes to a hardtop that pit
4. can get more crew members out of the weather
5. whole pilothouse is lockable
6. no curtains to maintain/replace

Walkaround
1. level deck to the helm -- no step down
2. more open helm area with removable curtains
3. more privacy to the v-berth portapotti over the SL
4. comes standard with the live well and the factory live well isnt in an "in the way" location
5. less likely to feel like bus driver when running from the helm
6. more room on the dash for electronics over the SL version

Both designs have their advantages and their fans, but one advantage a pilothouse has, is the rear steering station.
Docking doesn't get much easier than this...

Image-B8C19720290511DC.jpg

I had a hard time deciding which one to buy. I choose the WA and have no regrets. I preferred the more openess feeling of the WA than the PH.
In the summer I take all the curtains off except the front two and keep them rolled up just in case a storm pops up. I had a helm cover made when the boat is slipped which take a total of 3 minutes to put on.There is more room in the cabin for kids or for a sleep over.

I really like the new designed WA, SWEET!

Attachments

• PARKER 2006 (Medium).JPG
    PARKER 2006 (Medium).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,967
  • front view (Medium).JPG
    front view (Medium).JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,968
I have a 2006 2510 for sale that has seen limited use...see "For Sale" forum. I can e-mail photos if your interested. Unfortunatley, I still can't get photos to upload onto this site:(

Good luck...you can't go wrong with either version!

Good comparisons.

Decide who will be on boat and what you will do.

Decide if you will use it days or ever overnight.

Decide how much cabin and cockpit space you want.

Decide how much storage you want.

Decide if you want to handle any vinyl.

Decide how long a season you want and what you would do in cold weather.

There are more decisions.

Good luck.

I chose a hardtop.

Dana

B-Faithful":313z6w7u said:
Where is Porkchunker! he has a very nice 2510 with twin 115's?

Have been off-line for a few days with a high school graduation and associated parties and house guests, and a confirmation at church where I am one of the confirmation instructors. Needless to say, I've been busy. Haven't even been on the water for over 6 weeks. :( :shock:

Yes, I have a 2002 2510 MV (14 degree) with twin F-115s. I wanted the Parker 25 PH, but the Admiral wanted the Grady WA...so we compromised...and we got the Parker WA. Great decision and I wouldn't go back.

My fishing habits have migrated toward saltwater fly fishing and the hardtop gets in the way once in a while, but I've learned to deal with it. When the waves are tall and the rain is falling, I'm very happy I've got the WA and not a CC.

The twin F-115s achieve about the same performance and fuel burn numbers as a single F-225 on the MV hull. I like the safety of twins (have relied on that twice over the years due to wrapping fly lines around one of the props), but not the cost of the annual maintenance. If I was making a decision today, I'd put a single F-250 on the new 2510 XL (16 degree) hull.

Dave

aka

one option you might want to consider if you are buying new: i believe parker still offers the open back pilothouse option (like you can see in Megabytes picture). we have this option on our 2530 and love it. it totally eliminates any stuffiness that can be associated with pilothouses, while still giving you the total enclosure option for weather protection when the curtains are down. it also eliminates the "shut off" feeling of other pilothouses ive been in, and makes it easier for 3 guys to scramble towards a screaming rod in the stern at the same time :lol: however, you do give up some security, as you no longer have a locking pilothouse door. its a tradeoff, but its a good one in my poinion :D

I agree. :D

It is surprising that the open-back isn't more popular in this area as it is a no-cost option.
I think it might be because many of the boats on dealers lots are pre-ordered for stock, and most buyers don't even know that the open-back is an option because the dealers all order bulkhead boats.

What a shame, because I think more people would buy them if they were available on the dealers lot.

Image-7F81D7060B7511DB.jpg

I have a 99 2510 DV that I bought new. I also have a buddy with the pilot house. He is jealous of my cabin size. He finds it difficult to store extra rods.

With the canvas and hard top on a 2510 you can enjoy the best of both worlds !

As long as I live in the Northeast, I will never own anything besides a pilothouse ever again.

Shade in the summer. Warmth in the winter. Shelter in the rain and in rough seas. And a place to store and lock up my gear.

FYI, I have no problem throwing a 10' cast net off my bow. :wink:

Back