New Kill Switch (ECOS) Regulations and MOB+ Installation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelagic2530

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For everyone's situational awareness, new regulations are going into effect as of April 2021 regarding the use of Engine Cut Off Switch (ECOS) units, commonly known as the "kill switch" lanyards. You can read about them here: Boat engine cutoff switch law takes effect April 1 | Boating Industry
Essentially, if you're operating a boat equipped with a kill switch lanyard, it has to be used when the vessel is underway at speed (docking, fishing, etc. are exempted). There is a provision for pilothouse boats, which will exempt many of us from the regulation. But for the CC guys, this will likely be applicable.

I posted this under my 1700 overhaul thread, but thought I'd break it out here to make it more easily accessible. Independent of this regulation, I wanted a more user-friendly option for an engine kill switch that would allow me to move around the boat and wouldn't get in my way, but would shut off the motor if I fell overboard. Researching a few systems, I came up with two finalists: the ACR OLAS system, and the Fell Marine MOB+ system. Both have their advantages; in the end I settled on the Fell Marine system. It's a simpler install, and I don't have the need for the greater sophistication that the ACR system provides.

The install was fairly straightforward. The wiring harness splices into the corded kill switch module. By wiring them in parallel, you can preserve the function of the corded switch, while adding the wireless ability of the MOB+ unit. The diagrams provided with the unit and available from the manufacturer were nearly perfect; in my case one of the wiring colors was slightly different so I pulled out the corded unit to verify. Other than that, it was an easy splice job and one 2 1/8" hole saw cut.

Pictures of the dash unit install:

MOB4.jpg
MOB1.jpg
MOB3.jpg
MOB2.jpg
In the last picture, you can see the inside portion of the dash unit. It needs about 4" of clearance inside, and in addition to the wiring harness plug there's a small flexible antenna that is used to detect the loss of the signal from the fob. The harness also needs a connection to 12v power.

The fob is small, with a single push button. Once the fob is paired with the dash unit, the engine can be started. If the fob gets far enough away, the engine will shut off and alarm. After 6 seconds, the engine can be restarted, in case a passenger on the boat needs to maneuver back to pick you up. Testing it in my driveway, the shutoff distance was about 50'. I imagine that with the fob submerged in water, it would lose the signal a lot faster. You can also manually shut off the motor by pressing the button on the fob. Pressing it again resets the system and allows the motor to be restarted. The fob is a little bigger than a bottle cap, and they offer wristbands, clips, or lanyards to make carrying it on you easier. Mine lives in the little pocket on my inflatable life jacket. The system also allows you to configure 3 additional fobs as "alarm" fobs for passengers or pets; if one of them gets far enough away the engine will not shut off, but the alarm will sound.

If you're just testing or rinsing the motor, the system can be put into override mode by pressing the dash unit button for 10 seconds, after which the motor can be started; the unit will blink and beep every 30 seconds while in override mode. Should the system fail entirely, there's an emergency cap on the wiring harness; installing the cap makes an electrical connection that will bypass the system and allow the engine to function.

I'm very happy with this installation. It's nice to have the peace of mind that should I get bounced out of the boat, or fall overboard tripping over my own feet while trolling, I won't have too far to swim to get back aboard. Furthermore, it will satisfy these new regulations without the hassle of the cord. While I'd imagine that enforcement of these regulations will be somewhat difficult ("I took it off as soon as I came off plane to stop for the boarding, officer"), having the ability to easily be in compliance with regulations is never a bad thing.

Last edited:
For everyone's situational awareness, new regulations are going into effect as of April 2021 regarding the use of Engine Cut Off Switch (ECOS) units, commonly known as the "kill switch" lanyards. You can read about them here: Boat engine cutoff switch law takes effect April 1 | Boating Industry
Essentially, if you're operating a boat equipped with a kill switch lanyard, it has to be used when the vessel is underway at speed (docking, fishing, etc. are exempted). There is a provision for pilothouse boats, which will exempt many of us from the regulation. But for the CC guys, this will likely be applicable.

I posted this under my 1700 overhaul thread, but thought I'd break it out here to make it more easily accessible. Independent of this regulation, I
wanted a more user-friendly option for an engine kill switch that would allow me to move around the boat and wouldn't get in my way, but would shut off the motor if I fell overboard. Researching a few systems, I came up with two finalists: the ACR OLAS system, and the Fell Marine MOB+ system. Both have their advantages; in the end I settled on the Fell Marine system. It's a simpler install, and I don't have the need for the greater sophistication that the ACR system provides.

The install was fairly straightforward. The wiring harness splices into the corded kill switch module. By wiring them in parallel, you can preserve the function of the corded switch, while adding the wireless ability of the MOB+ unit. The diagrams provided with the unit and available from the manufacturer were nearly perfect; in my case one of the wiring colors was slightly different so I pulled out the corded unit to verify. Other than that, it was an easy splice job and one 2 1/8" hole saw cut.

View attachment 28233
View attachment 28234
View attachment 28235
View attachment 28236
In the last picture, you can see the inside portion of the dash unit. It needs about 4" of clearance inside, and in addition to the wiring harness plug there's a small flexible antenna that is used to detect the loss of the signal from the fob. The harness also needs a connection to 12v power.

The fob is small, with a single push button. Once the fob is paired with the dash unit, the engine can be started. If the fob gets far enough away, the engine will shut off and alarm. After 6 seconds, the engine can be restarted, in case a passenger on the boat needs to maneuver back to pick you up. Testing it in my driveway, the shutoff distance was about 50'. I imagine that with the fob submerged in water, it would lose the signal a lot faster. You can also manually shut off the motor by pressing the button on the fob. Pressing it again resets the system and allows the motor to be restarted. The fob is a little bigger than a bottle cap, and they offer wristbands, clips, or lanyards to make carrying it on you easier. Mine lives in the little pocket on my inflatable life jacket. The system also allows you to configure 3 additional fobs as "alarm" fobs for passengers or pets; if one of them gets far enough away the engine will not shut off, but the alarm will sound.

If you're just testing or rinsing the motor, the system can be put into override mode by pressing the dash unit button for 10 seconds, after which the motor can be started; the unit will blink and beep every 30 seconds while in override mode. Should the system fail entirely, there's an emergency cap on the wiring harness; installing the cap makes an electrical connection that will bypass the system and allow the engine to function.

I'm very happy with this installation. It's nice to have the peace of mind that should I get bounced out of the boat, or fall overboard tripping over my own feet while trolling, I won't have too far to swim to get back aboard. Furthermore, it will satisfy these new regulations without the hassle of the cord. While I'd imagine that enforcement of these regulations will be somewhat difficult ("I took it off as soon as I came off plane to stop for the boarding, officer"), having the ability to easily be in compliance with regulations is never a bad thing.
Thank you for the update; and nice install on the Fells! A couple years ago I had thought about getting one, but I didn't think I had room for the antenna; (I wanted to install it in the Cockpit control station) thanks for showing us, that it has only a 4" antenna now. (I think last time I looked at them, the antenna was 8 or 10" long?)... Here's an old unit (The Auto-Tether) that was much simpler to install..... But it had one small quirk; it didn't work! (at least not for long!)
1616113853450.png

I posted this under my 1700 overhaul thread, but thought I'd break it out here to make it more easily accessible. Independent of this regulation, I wanted a more user-friendly option for an engine kill switch that would allow me to move around the boat and wouldn't get in my way, but would shut off the motor if I fell overboard. Researching a few systems, I came up with two finalists: the ACR OLAS system, and the Fell Marine MOB+ system. Both have their advantages; in the end I settled on the Fell Marine system. It's a simpler install, and I don't have the need for the greater sophistication that the ACR system provides.

View attachment 28233
View attachment 28234
View attachment 28235
View attachment 28236

Also, there seem to be a lot of 'exemptions', including the exemption for pilothouse/enclosed boats. Mostly for boats build 2020 and newer. And if you have an older boat, and install a Fell, or other cut off device, it will be a requirement that you use it.
Here's the US Coast Guard guidelines from the USCG site;
https://uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/engine-cut-off-switch-faq.php

Last edited:
FYI -

Make sure you change the small watch-battery in the FOB at least 1x/year (or sooner). When they fail, the engine will randomly shut-off. I know from experience.

...and 2320's are exempt because our LOA is 31'. It's total LOA...not model number.
Here is the USCG measurement specs;
The way I read this, I believe the Armstrong Bracket, since it includes some 'buoyant' volume' might be included. (I say 'Might', because one interpretation is that the entire platform must be 'buoyant?)... It likely does not include the anchor pulpit, as it is not part of the 'buoyant hull envelope'.... It does not include the outboard motor in measurements.
1616159002972.png

This is taken from the USCG measurement requirements for 'vessel documentation'. 2009 is the most recent I can find so far.

Last edited:
Here is the USCG measurement specs;
The way I read this, I believe the Armstrong Bracket, since it includes some 'buoyant' volume' might be included. (I say 'Might', because one interpretation is that the entire platform must be 'buoyant?)... It likely does not include the anchor pulpit, as it is not part of the 'buoyant hull envelope'.... It does not include the outboard motor in measurements.
View attachment 28251

This is taken from the USCG measurement requirements for 'vessel documentation'. 2009 is the most recent I can find so far.

Correct. ^^^^^^^

LOA is a term defined by the USCG in the Code of Federal Regulations. Federal Regulations (uscgboating.org)

Pulpits and (generally) motor brackets are not included.

At one time, LOA was a waterline length and now has evolved to a "stem-to-stern" measurement.

How do you think those of us that have walk arounds will be viewed? Not really enclosed like a pilot house nor wide open like a center console.

How do you think those of us that have walk arounds will be viewed? Not really enclosed like a pilot house nor wide open like a center console.
I too was wondering where the 'fine-line' will be, even with pilothouse Parkers that are open to the cockpit; no 'back wall'. My guess is, if the steering station is 'open' to the cockpit, you may still be required to use it? I don't know; just my guess. The USCG exemption for pilothouse boats, is because they are fully enclosed, and when in the pilothouse, it would be VERY difficult to fall out of the boat.... But, my wife said, if it's possible to fall out of a pilothouse, I'll be the first!

Last edited:
Back