No more Parker-logo rod holders?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonas grumby

Reaction score
I called my local dealer today to inquire about purchasing two rod holders for the FWD quarters of my 1801. He said Parker is not selling the holders w/ their name on them anymore and that I was the third inquirer this month. He said he could sell me the same rod holders that Parker currently installs sans the embossed logo, for a reasonable price. I intend on mounting the rod holders as much in the athwartships direction as possible. I am wondering if anyone would offer suggestions concerning- direction of mount, angle of rod holder, use of 3M 5200 as a sealant or anything else.

Make sure to check UNDER the gunnel for clearance before you cut.

IMHO, there is no need for 5200, nor is this the place to use it, as you should be properly sealing the wood washboard core with epoxy anyway - even if only the waterproof ready-mix 5-minute type. Then use BoatLife LifeSeal or LifeCaulk for the bedding.

See:

viewtopic.php?t=2440

or

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8956

Roger that on the clearance check as well as moving the gunnel light wiring out of the way. Thanks for the advice concerning sealing w/ epoxy. My dad was a mold-loftsman i.e. high tech ship-fitter back when there were no computers only slide-rules so we will be taking a hard look at the angles as well as possible jig use for fit-up prior to punching any holes. My great grandfather was a boat builder before slide-rules, they only used the "rack of the eye". I guess since I was just a Marine Machinery Mate and only know to "get a bigger hammer" when things don't work, I will get my dad to help me out. Thanks again!

Jonas

I recently added 4 rodholders, jonas. I was able to get all four with the older Parker logos by calling around. The Parker dealer in Williamstown, NJ still had one, and I did get mine from the dealer in Morehead City,NC, and they had one more there. Call Alexis,she was great to deal with. And they were price reduced!

Follow Dale H's lead on the cutting through. I made up a 28 degree board cut, and laid my drill w/holesaw right on it, and the holes were perfect. Thanks again, Dale. Most important is to treat your core hole with 2-part epoxy, and don't miss a spot. The pressure is not extreme on rod holders, so I did not through bolt, but used wood/sheet metal type SS screws into the predrilled and treated holed w/adhesive bedding, not 5200.
I also added spring cleats, but these are through bolted w/fish plate on bottom. Because of spring mechanism in the pop-ups I did not use 5200, but also bedded w/ West Marine Silicone sealant. Again, most important to 2-part epoxy the core hole. Good luck in your search, they won't be available for long.

papasown":37k68obi said:
The pressure is not extreme on rod holders, so I did not through bolt, but used wood/sheet metal type SS screws into the predrilled and treated holed w/adhesive bedding, not 5200.

be careful with that. the amount of strain on the rodholders depends highly on what you're using them for. if youre trolling offshore with heavy gear, they should not only be through bolted but have either large washers or backing plates. everyone's seen the pictures of a poorly bedded rodholder ripped out of the gunnel by a big marlin, thats alot of glasswork to fix :wink:

Thanks for the heads up on that one, Pelagic. I"ll go with a couple through bolts and fender washers in back, but only cause I'm hankering for a 400# Blue Marlin in Hatteras this June. I always get the best tips from this Parker family. Thanks all.

Thanks for the help fellas. The rod holders will see little stress as they will be primarily used to set rods in when removing hooks from reds, spades and speckled sea-trout. I am getting tired of the forward-end fishermen setting their rods on the deck or leaning them against the gunnels.

I read about how great and responsive the factory is yet in my short ownership experience this hasn't been the case with factory or at least one dealer.

Nobody here to take you on the tour,

5 days to call me back on question re transom repair on a boat i was looking at,

Sorry, no gel coat available here at the factory

One dealer wants me to drive 2.5 hrs and bring a jar for the pleasure of paying huge money for a pint of gel coat. refuses to ship. (btw, thanks to the dealer in Va. Beach area for helping me out! Shipped and cheap!)

No website for chotskies from factory, just some name and an email address

Now no logo rod holders....

Not looking good, imho, for the mother ship. Some of my dealer related gripes probably have more to do with expecting service from somebody who sells Grady boats but still!

Sorry to hear about the lack of help, Jacksdad, I live really close to Norfolk Marine here in Virginia and they are no less than awesome with Parker help. I need a little gel coat and the parts guy says "The Parker owners buy almost as much gel coat ($19/ quart) as they do motor oil, they are rough on their boats!". Most Parker guys I know in this area are either commercial crabbers/ fishermen or hard-core recreational fisherman.

Jonas that's who i was referring to. Va beach/Norfolk all the same to a md boy.

Parts guy said same thing about Parker owners to me!

Roger that- Norfolk Marine is on Virginia Beach Blvd, here in the Tidewater area of Virginia lots of things are screwed up. Our public Navy Yard is named Norfolk Naval Shipyard but it is across the Elizabeth River in the city of Portsmouth, Virginia!

Latest posts

Back