No Wake Zone

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledgeHammer

Reaction score
I just found out that the Davis Canal where my dock is has been changed to a no wake zone. I understand why but it is 3+ miles to the ICW from my dock. I have two questions if any one can help.

1. How do I know if I'm going to fast in a no wake zone? I use to go around 6 MPH up and down the canal.

2. Will a boat with less draft (like a skiff) be able to travel faster with out making a wake?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

FWC (Florida Wildlife Commision) Down here in Florida told me that if you see white water on your wake slow down. It ends up being around 5 or 6 mph for me. Surprisingly the boats that i have seen that can go the fastest without throwing a big wake are the large sportfishers.

I used to own a 16 ft freshwater bass boat.

The few times I took it in no wake zones I had a couple of people yelling at me to slow down. I was literally just barely making headway speed.

Probably was the design of the boat that caused more of ripple.

jeffnick":p6vff713 said:
http://propcops.com/index.php?topic=41.0

Very interesting site.

My dock is on a waterway that leads to the IC. While it's a posted MINIMUM wake zone, boats and jet ski's FLY by, totally ignoring the sign.

I don't mind them as much. They are going fast enough as to NOT throw a big wake. The worst are the big SeaRay owners who are not going fast enough to get on plane and not slow enough not to throw a huge wake. These morons are just pushing a bath tub through the water and sending a Tsunami onto my sea wall.

I've called LEO but they have better things to do than sit at my spot and cite boaters.

Anyway, as you might guess, sea walls and caps are expensive.
A few years ago I had rip rap installed to help cushion the energy before it hits the seawall. Oh well....

CG rules say "no discernible wake", which can mean a different speed for different vessels depending on type.
In any event, max speed in a 'no wake' zone is not to exceed 6 knots regardless of the type of vessel.

About 1200rpm / 4.6kts to be safe If I push to 5+ kts boat starts to generate close ripples approaching 1/2 to 3/4 foot.

SledgeHammer":309ogxpd said:
Thanks for the info. Can anyone with a 2520 MV tell me what their no wake speed is?

About 1100 rpm (~4.5 kts) for me.

FishFactory":2x0qhoes said:
TheOtherLine":2x0qhoes said:
. The worst are the big SeaRay owners who are not going fast enough to get on plane and not slow enough not to throw a huge wake. These morons are just pushing a bath tub through the water and sending a Tsunami onto my sea wall.

:lol: Amen

We call 'em Liquor Cruisers. Every Sunday afternoon, they head out on a local upscale lake. Run at 2 RPM shy of plane w/bows pointed skyward. Completely clueless.

Those folks are classified as the Ohio Navy around here, as they migrate to the lake here in Ky usually pulling these tubs with a Explorer or Blazer class of vehicle hogging the left lane of the interstate, Are there no lakes in Ohio??? :evil: Forget about trying to fish as you will get washed up onto the bank by the wave.

Just ask my brother in law about no wake zones......

nowakezone.jpg

Good one :lol: .. Looks like the quahoger (clam digger) I pulled over last week :evil: Only thing missing are the bull rake stales hanging over the transom :)

Back