oil change

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passingwindII

Reaction score
happy friday the 13th
i have twin 150 4 stroke yammies, and was curious to see how many of you change your own oil and do you use yamalube and why

I'm a die-hard synthetic fanatic and will use Amsoil 0w-40 exclusively in my Yamaha f225. The engine in my 72 Triumph TR6 was rebuilt about 20 years ago and I have used only synthetic in it since then and it has been my daily commuter all that time. Still clean as a whistle inside and going strong. I tell customers at my car fix-it place that anything that has metal parts rubbing together should use synthetic oil. Do some comparative analysis on the web and you will find that Amsoil and Mobil 1 are top of the heap.

Good info for changing in the water or out at:

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

Before I changed mine I called Yamaha & asked them if it was okay to use the Moeller suction pump down the dip stick tube and they told me it was just fine as I changed mine in the water. He did recommend I use Yammie oil to not have any problems with my 6 year warranty. So I put Yammie oil in and same with the oil filter.

Good to have the socket type fitting for the filter removal. I did all in the boat after my 10 hour break in period without spilling a drop - including the lower unit oil where I used a Yammie pump and lower unit oil (used a pontoon boat to work from in the water). My marina has an oil waste container too so all simple.

............Pete

It never surprises me that Yamaha folks recommend Yamalube to avoid warranty problems, but the point is the API specification as stated in the owner's manual. Yamaha 2-strokes want TCW-3. I don't have my f225 manual in front of me, but I think it calls for API SJ, which is not a particularly high spec (2006 cars are up to SM). Use any good oil to the right spec and your warranty is safe.

When you search the web, you always get more info than you wanted, but I found this interesting comparative test at http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... OfOil.html. Taught me things about oil I had never thought of. Synthetic came out very well as expected.

i did go to a yamaha web site and they say under Q&A you can use any motor oil that has an API of SE SF SG SH SJ 10w30 or 40 and it will no have any consiquences on your warrenty. They do recommend tho there yamalube because they say they know its of good quality

i did go to a yamaha web site and they say under Q&A you can use any motor oil that has an API of SE SF SG SH SJ 10w30 or 40 and it will no have any consiquences on your warrenty. They do recommend tho there yamalube because they say they know its of good quality

Latest posts

Back