Out of Hatteras on 2120?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capttimothy11

Reaction score
I am heading down to Hatteras this weekend in my 2120. Plan to head to the rockpile if the weather is right. Does anyone have an opinion about going offshore in a 21 footer(sport cabin). I feel fairly confident and am only going if the weather decent. Thanks for any replies.

Hatteras or Oregon Inlet? As you may know, Oregon Inlet is one nasty place and can turn in an instant. I've been out in my 21' but only if I'm real confident in how the wind will be blowing when I head to port.

Yellowfin?

I feel like it's not so much the size of the boat as it is planning and prep. Used to go offshore (60+ miles) from Virginia Beach in my 21 Grady I/O. We used to see guys out there in 18 ft open fishermen with no VHF antenna to be seen! On a good day there are folks out there to help in a real emergency. Planning includes weather, fuel management, risk assessment (try to think of everything that COULD go wrong). Seasickness finally got me, so I stay closer to home. One thing's sure - in a well-maintained Parker, the boat is the least of your worries.

I fished out of Hatteras inlet, launching out of "Teachers Lair" on my 2120 in June. Hatteras inlet is a much better choice than Oregon Inlet and as other posts suggest you should plan carefully and leave a float plan. I have been offshore multiple times on my boat and carry a new ACR406 EPIRB in addition to my other gear. Purchasing a raft real soon. The boat is highly capable, one of the best in its class for ride and seaworthiness.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I took her out of Hatteras on Sun 3-21. It was rough as hell.The boat handled it fine. I also have an EPIRB. Would love to have a kicker motor on a bracket ... will put it on my wish list.

I considered a kicker as well but engines are much more reliable than the old days and a good membership with Boat US towing will be there when you need it. The bottom line is if you loose your main engine you will be calling for a tow anyhow and trying to make a little headway with the kicker at best. Escpecially if you are in any kind of sea. I carry both a sea anchor and 10 100ft. sections of anchor rope that can be connected by caribiner. I also carry an anchor ball and "painter" rope to anchor and then tie off of for chunking. This will work in rough water or you can go to the sea anchor. For the cost of an auxilary you can add a nice raft and sea anchor. The kicker adds weight to the transom and also serves as a snag when fighting large fish such as Tuna. The two main emergency situations that occur are the striking of a submerged object and fire. In either case the auxilary motor will not replace a raft.

Good advice Capt Yakes, thanks. I am going to get a sea anchor, and a raft. A kicker would not have done me any good in the mess off hatteras the other day anyway. I was thinking it would be useful if I was offshore in VA, where my VHF probably wouldn't reach Sea Tow, at least I could get headed in the right direction. Anyone have a SSB radio?
We did catch six false albacore, but didn't find the bluefins as we had hoped.

Back