painting the cowling

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pain Management

Reaction score
Anyone know a place where I could sent out my cowling to have repainted? It started to peel this year and I tried to touch it up today with the Yamaha paint but it didn't work out to good. The color wasn't as close as I thought it would be and it looks worse.
George

Any auto good body shop could paint it. Or maybe consider a graphics shop to do a custom vinyl wrap? I bought a cover for mine but use it on the rear station. When my motor fades I'm going with the vinyl wrap.

Having a cowl painted at any good body shop is a simple process.

I bought the cowl in the photo below from a member of another boating web site that had been painted in 'Yamaha 250' colors, but finished up with 225 graphics.

Image-81A546DDE7BE11DB.jpg

Unfortunately, the custom painted cowl would not fit my motor.
The cowl on the left is from my 1997 motor, the one on the right is the custom painted cowl.

Image-C75FD13BFB5B11DB.jpg

Notice the cowl on the left has 3 hard points to attach the cowl to the motor, while the one on the right has 2 hard points. :(
It looks as if the newer cowls can be configured for the older motors, but not the other way around.

If anyone with an older motor is looking for a custom painted cowl, drop me a PM. :wink:

Pain Management":xrdftt1d said:
Max-out,
Whats vinyl wrap and whats the cost? My cowling isn't fading it is actually peeling and looks like --it.

Graphics shops can print on vinyl and wrap entire surfaces. You probably see some cars or busses with wraps on them. The cool thing about it is you can fully customize your cowling and even put a picture on it. I am going to get mine done but haven’t had the time lately so I haven’t got a price. I would guess around $200.00-$300.00. I have a friend that puts a 3M clear vinyl on fronts of exotic cars to protect from rock chips. This would also make a good option to protect if you paint. Check with your local sign shops and find one that does wraps.

Pain Management":12o6dj8a said:
That paint job looks great Megabyte I only wish it would fit my motor.

Looks to me like a little work with the grinder would get it to fit just fine. You might only have to move one of the latch hardware piece to the center posts, remove the other and then grind off the old brackets in the corners (leave the ones for the rubber locating grommets though).

Back