Parker 21se question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark T

Reaction score
I mentioned to someone that I was close to buying a Parker 21SE. I was told that the ride was terrible and that bow steer would be a problem. I was happy enough after my sea trial but this has me concerned.

I also needed to add that it was said that the deck and transom would rot. 5 years if trailered and 3 years if stored in the water. This person is a regular on the THT forums.

Hi Mark,
I have never been on a 21se , but I am familiar with the boat. It is a modified v with either a 14 degree or 16 degree hull ( not sure which) but either would tend to ride a little rough if compared to a deep V (21 degrees or better) . However it would also be more stable at rest and require less horsepower than a deep V.
"Bow Steer" is usually associated with deep v hulls.
If you test drove it and liked it, I would not worry about what other people think, all that matters is what you think. :D
That the hull will rot in 3-5 years is insane, Parker builds an exceptionally tough boat and they sell a lot of them, if there was a problem with them rotting it would be common knowledge.
I think the 21 SE is a fine boat and should give you many years of service.

Roger

My 21SE is 9 years old. No rot anywhere! The only chips in the gel coat were ones I put there. There isn't a crack or spiderweb anywhere on the whole boat and it's been towed from FL to WA and back. From a construction standpoint, it's the best boat I have ever owned. Simple but built to last.

The 21SE does ride a little rouch in higher seas but it is ultra stable when fishing or drifting. If I fished offshore, I'd get a boat with more deadrise but I fish mostly bays, inland waters and near shore (under 15 miles) and it's perfect for that.

Mark T":3bo4pdbv said:
This person is a regular on the THT forums.

Mark, THT is not known for its accurate information.
It would be better to listen to the people who own these boats and know them best - the members you will find here at CP.

FWIW - The department I just retired from has two 21SE's outfitted for marine rescue.
They live their lives on trailers and get used hard.
One is a 1991, the other is a 1999, and both of them are in excellent shape and have never failed us.

This is the 1991 boat.

Attachments

• marine12.jpg
    marine12.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 567
Mark,
A few weeks ago I bought a 2000 21SE that was advertised on THT and also on this site. I have only had the boat a few weeks, so my opinion might change farther down the line. Since liberating the boat in New Orleans and returning it to Beaufort, I had the boat on a very busy lake and on the Pamlico Sound, not off-shore. I could not be happier with the ride of boat! A few times I was on the sound there were whitecaps, but I have no experience stating the size of the waves. I felt the boat did an outstanding job of handling the chop and keeping us dry. It has never gone over a wave and “banged”, like I have experienced on previous boats.

The previous owned took good care of the boat, but it has been awhile since it had a good waxing. I used a little cleaner wax and the boat now looks like new. In 2000 I bought a leftover 1999 25 foot Fountain, that had sat for about a year before I bought it. I was never able to get the gel-coat to shine on the Fountain like I thought it should. Based on my gel-coat experience I think Parker uses the best products available to build their boats.

To keep this short of a novel, there are a few other things I really like about the boat. It has a lot of room for a 21. Also, the deck is all one level, easy to clean, the bait well very adequate. Finally, I like the room at the bow of the boat. There is plenty of room to stand up there and throw a castnet. I could go on and on

Now, what I don’t like about the boat………Nothing!

Where are you located? If you are in the Beaufort NC area, you are welcome to come over and spend a day on my 21SE to get a good feel for the boat.

Craig

I would never worry about the rot. It depends what conditions you are riding in and what you consider to be a good ride.

With cross breeze ure gonna bang and get wet a bit.

Mark T":3j5nk84w said:
I mentioned to someone that I was close to buying a Parker 21SE. I was told that the ride was terrible and that bow steer would be a problem. I was happy enough after my sea trial but this has me concerned.

THT like any forum, including this one, will have good, bad and horrible advice.

The bow steer comment is too stupid to even render a comment.

FWIW I have a 1997 21se that has been tied to the dock with whips, no lift, no davits sitting in the water since 1999, 12 months of the year and I have no rot.

The bow steer comment is too stupid to even render a comment.

hahaha, so true - who says that? I thought we were dealing with a 21ft boat?

Deploy your tabs too deep in a following sea and any boat will 'bow steer'.

Craig, Thankyou very much for the offer to ride your boat. My wife and I were more than happy with the time Charles at Starling Marine provided us on the boat. It was a huge upgrade over the skiff. I keep my boat at Coral Bay in Moorehead,City. I almost exclusively flyfish and would not go much beyond sight of land. AR 330 is as far as I have been. I work in Apex and live in Fuquay-Varina by the way.
To everyone else that responded, I appreciate your insights. It gives me alot of confidence going forward with this purchase. If I can sell my skiff quickly I could be on the Parker by the first week in October.

Thankyou,
Mark

pmeggers":psj641ye said:
I would thinkm someone would be able to figure that out

True, but everyone has to start somewhere, and sometime folks just starting out need a little help with the details.
That's why we're here... to help em out. :wink:

First time I took a buddies new 34 SeaRay out, he saw me fingering the tab switches as I throttled her up.
He had no idea what those switches did, nor how to use them... so he asked.
After 15 minutes of instruction, he was good.
Some folks, no matter what boat they might own, just don't know until somebody shows them.

Mark T,

When I said it was too stupid to render a comment it was not meant to be directed to you. It was supposed to be directed to the guy on THT who told you that. I am not that smart so I apolgize if my wording is less than stellar.

Megabyte":21143n6m said:
pmeggers":21143n6m said:

True, but everyone has to start somewhere, and sometime folks just starting out need a little help with the details.
That's why we're here... to help em out. :wink: .

Agreed. Was not trying to add any insult, just was a little annoyed that someone would say comments that clearly have no backing and could potentially lead somebody away from a solid boat!

pmeggers":14tdsoiy said:
Megabyte":14tdsoiy said:
pmeggers":14tdsoiy said:

That's why we're here... to help em out. :wink: .

Agreed. Was not trying to add any insult, just was a little annoyed that someone would say comments that clearly have no backing and could potentially lead somebody away from a solid boat!

I agree.
We're good! :)

I have a 21SE that I bought new in 2002. I use the boat inshore and offshore in Southern California and it is the best boat I've ever owned! I also own a Formula 233 and while it rides better than the Parker I prefer to take the Parker offshore. Just make sure your boat has trim tabs. With the tabs, I can keep on plane at lower speeds than the Formula. The Formula keeps falling off plane in heavy seas and I must use the throttle a lot more than on the Parker.

Mark T":2pyw1lz5 said:
I also needed to add that it was said that the deck and transom would rot. 5 years if trailered and 3 years if stored in the water. This person is a regular on the THT forums.

He told me the same. I wonder if Parker owners who have paid for his service know he does that.

Back