Parker 2520 owners

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledgeHammer

Reaction score
I am looking for a used 2520 but I have one concern. The canal where the boat will be has a walkway that the boat will have to go through. At high tide there is 8 ft of bridge clearance and the opening is 13 ft wide. I know I will be be limited when it comes to rod holders and radar because of the clearance. Do you think there will be any problems navigating through the 13 ft opening? Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• Canal With Walkway Edited.JPG
    Canal With Walkway Edited.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 949
I'd have to go down to the marina and put a tape on mine, but with a 9'6" beam, I'd think you'd be tight, but OK with 13' of clearance.

Hopefully one of the members down south where the weather is warmer could verify that. My boat is a bit bundled up at the moment. :)

DSCN0027.JPG

From being on a couple of 2520's I think you will be ok. One of the things about the parker layout that is to your advantage is that the pilothouse is fairly low and you step down into it. I think laying down the antennas would get you under 8'. Of course the 13 feet width means you will only have less than 2' on each side of the boat with its 9'6" beam. Go slow, it looks very protected so wind wont be big factor. That is what the rub rail is for. If you are concerned about beam, maybe look to the 2320 as it is a foot narrower yet still sports a nice size cockpit. Of course the 2320 is a deep v so draft may be an issue then too.

Good luck

Current flow would be the biggest factor IMHO ... forget the wind ;) . OK, don't forget about it ...

What are your tide heights? We have a place up here, with average 9' tides, and on a FALLING tide the current roars out of the bay on the other side. I have come in through there with maybe ~4' (if lucky) of clearance on each side ... but, I was at 3500 RPMs and barely moving, as the tidal flow coming out formed 4-5' high standing waves :shock: ! Unreal experience! Next time I'll wait for the tide to ebb, haha!

Your structure looks uniform on BOTH side which is good. However, there's one thing to be aware of with boats, hydronamic forces, and large structures in the water, like bridges and canal sides, or even a large moored/docked boat.

If you were to pass within a few feet of a solid wall (with open water on the other side) ... the pressure between your boat and the wall would be the LOW pressure side, due to turbulence and the fact the water is contained and cannot flow freely between them. In fact, if you look, the water level will 'rise' between the hull and that structure. However, the current/wake passing down the hull on the other side would be traveling faster (due to no turbulence from the wall/structure), hence it would be the HIGH pressure side.

Result ... the differential in pressure would sidle your boat sideways into that wall. This happened to the Titanic twice, once when leaving South Hampton Harbor, when she passed too close to another liner (which broke it's mooring chains and hawsers). It is also believed to be the forces that forced the doomed ship into and ripped along the submerged part of the iceberg.

Not a problem at all, I bring my 2530 through an area with much less clearance verticall and horizontally. I have made everything fold or be removable on the pilot house. Rocket launcher removes with 6 bolts when needed and the radar tower folds forward for clearance. I do have a window at the top of the tide where I cannot pass but that is outweighed by free dockage.

When I was buying my 2530 I measure John from Madisons 2520 open back and it was around 77" to the top of the pilot house not including removable things like anteneae and radar. My 2530 is 83" from the water line so it is a different house top all together.

Now I have twins which are a little more manuverable but I would kill for the clearance you have on that bridge.

Thank you for all the input. I'm on the Davis canal at Oak Island NC and the tide is 4 to 5 feet. When the tide is moving strong the walkway has little effect on my current boat. My two main concerns are the wind and being in a pilot house you can't just push off of the post if you get to close.

I have learned a lot form this site and even if I don't find my Parker I am sure I will keep visiting.

Thanks again.

When I have been concerned about vertical clearances, I used a pole that attached to the bow rail so that if the pole hit I would back out and wait till lower tide. That way I could be sure of my clearance when out alone. Also found it hard to trust the eye sight of some of my guests and it was harder to back out once the bow was in the underpass.

Another thought is to nail or bolt some dock fender material to the wooden posts on both sides at low tide so it you bump it would be no big deal and paint a horizontal line or two on the wooden posts so you can see when the clearance is close and see it when it is okay.....................Pete

I like the idea of the fenders. Not sure what the city would think but they would have to like it better than the car that tried to drive acrose it last year.

I think I could mark the boats clearance with paint. This way if I can't see the paint I know I want fit.

Sounds like the bridge want be a problem. Now it's time to make some money and find the boat.

Thanks.

SledgeHammer":1htgnrns said:
Sounds like the bridge want be a problem. Now it's time to make some money and find the boat.

Now you're talking! :wink:

SledgeHammer":vvugchsd said:
I like the idea of the fenders. Not sure what the city would think but they would have to like it better than the car that tried to drive acrose it last year.

I think I could mark the boats clearance with paint. This way if I can't see the paint I know I want fit.

Thanks.

I have pipes stuck in the mud a various stages of the tide to mark what needs to be done to the boat to get out.

SledgeHammer":3i26jlg7 said:
being in a pilot house you can't just push off of the post if you get to close.

A second steering station will resolve that problem. I always use mine for close maneuvering and docking as sight lines are better and access to push off is less restricted.
It's also a major advantage when trolling alone or with a small crew as you can work lines and steer at the same time.

Back