Parkers WAY offshore

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LABLUEWATER

Reaction score
I have just about decided to buy a 2820. I fish Venice, LA. and usually run 40 to 60 miles offshore during the summer months. I have been in the boat in 2's and 3's which were close together and very confused. I was happy with the ride considering you drive in the front of the boat. I am only worried because I dont realy ever see anyone on this sight talking about fishing the gulf stream or very far off shore up on the east coast. I am looking for some thoughts or experienc on running the boat in big seas offshore. Good or Bad, any info will be helpful. Thanks, Dylan.

Your worried?

We take our 2120 offshore to 40 miles quite a bit here in So. Calif. I've read a couple of posts from two other 21 and 23 owners in my area who think nothing of a 60 mile trip. I feel very comfortable in 2 to 3 footers. I'm sure there is a little differance in sea states out there in that we tend to get long duration swell. not sure about east coast.

The trick on the long trips is to watch the weather reports and offshore bouy readings.

If I had the 28 it would be like riding a limo. I've been on several Parkers up to the 28 besides mine, cant beat them for solid ride.

we routinely take our 2530 out on the 68 mile one way trip to the baltimore canyon. our only issue is fuel capacity, which with a 28 and fourstrokes would be alleviated. other than that, we feel perfectly comfortable, and feel that the 25 is a more than capable offshore platform if you know how to run it. there are two other 25 parkers that dock in our marina that do the same thing we do, ive ridden on one and feel the same way. more guys do it up here than you think, its definately one way to go. we had a guy on board who runs a 33 wellcraft and he was astounded that we did a whole canyon trip on 173 gallons of gas, you should be able to do even better. we also flew out there, he liked that too :lol: overall, no problem. go for it. my advice would be to forgo the flushing head/porta potti and fill that space with a non hydrostat canister raft (easier to drag out of the pilothouse and into the cockpit) and a good EPIRB. our boats will do almost everything the big boys will :wink:

Running a Parker offshore should be no problem so long as you watch your fuel and the weather. I sold my 2530 last spring to another site member, but before that we ran 22 trips from Niantic to the Fishtails and the Dip area in four years. We had all safety gear etc and always planned for our fuel usage. I burned on average 125-130 gallons per trip w/twin F200's. Niantic to the Tails is 90nm. We also did a few overniters as well and at no time did I ever feel uncomfortable being that far from port. Plan for everthing you can think of, carry a raft and epirb and good electronics and go get some fish.
Good luck

Keith

I would never take my 2530 that far offshore!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Just kidding. That is why I bought her. :D :D :D

I do inshore trolling for bluefins 40-45 miles in my 2120.With a 28 I'd have no worries about going 80,piece of cake :D
Just watch for weather window,but would feel very safe in a 28'

I take my 2520XLD that far offshore on a regular basis in the summer. San Clemente Island is like 55 miles fron Oceanside and that trek is a snap on my boat. That 28 is even better. I plan on fishing the Cortez back this summer which is about 100 miles out. Of course, you have to watch the conditions but taking your 28 out that far is a breeze. Randy.

My primary fishing sites are 105 to 120 miles offshore in the FL Middle Grounds. The 2320 has a 400 mile range so gas is no problem at all. Just pick your days and be prepared for everything.

jim

I just bought my 2520 with twin 200's early summer, last year. We made a ton of outings, the furthest was probably 30 miles. Took her to Catalina once as well. Some of the trips were in pretty rough water and I never even broke a sweat. This year I'll be going much further out. These boats ride so smooth and are so well made you should have no problems going out in a 28'. It's not like being in a single engine craft, where I always worried about "what if THE engine goes out." With twins, I think the chances of both failing are so astronomical it doesn't even factor into the equation for me. I run fuel/water separators on both engines so no chance of water contamination in the fuel. The 28's are very spacious, you will no doubt love that boat.

I've taken my 2520xlsc Mod V out 115 miles, 2-4ft seas. Never felt safer in any of my other boats. I brought an extra 20 gal of fuel in 2 jerry cans. Never used them.

In a 28, I'd put it on auto pilot and take a nap. (Just kidding)

You'll love that 28. Like anything be prepared. Life raft, epirb, backup gps, vhf, ditch bag etc.,

Ditto here. I take my 2510 to the fishtails and dip as well. I have no problems going further if the fish and weather cooperate.

I usually launch out of Dana Point and fish San Clemente Island and the West Butterfly with out any problems. Of course I always check the weather and don’t make the long runs when the seas are up.

The 2820 is a serious fishing machine. You are going to love her. :wink:

Back