Perfect power for 21 and 23 Parkers announced

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
Boy, the 175 would be perfect on a 21 Parker and the 250 Perfect for 23 and 25MV Parker hulls..

Original Link: http://www.mercurymarine.com/newsandeve ... .php?ID=22

Mercury launches two new engines in the fuel-efficient OptiMax family

(Jun 19, 2007) - FOND DU LAC, Wis. – This summer, Mercury Marine will add two new powerful siblings to its industry-leading OptiMax outboard family — the OptiMax 175 Pro XS and the 250 OptiMax.

The OptiMax fuel system matches — and even surpasses — the fuel efficiency of many of today's large four-strokes. Compared to traditional two-strokes, the OptiMax fuel system uses as much as 45 percent less fuel for the same running period.

Following in the successful footsteps of its direct injected 3.0L predecessors, the 225 and 250 Pro XS engines, the new 175 Pro XS promises to deliver all of the same thrills and delights to smaller boat owners, in a lightweight 2.5L package.

Weighing in at 431 pounds, the 175 Pro XS offers an outstanding power-to-weight ratio when compared to the competition. The OptiMax Pro XS engines have powered the last two Bassmaster Classic fishing tournaments.

The new Mercury 250 OptiMax promises to be a hit in the saltwater and aluminum boat markets. The 250 OptiMax features the incredible fuel economy and durability that have become synonymous with the OptiMax name.

The new 250 hp OptiMax features the exclusive, patented Verado gearcase with heavy-duty components for durability, corrosion resistance and performance. Dual water pickups provide a steady flow of cooling water, even in elevated running positions.

Both engines feature a high-output alternator and a 3-star C.A.R.B. rating — the highest emissions compliance level for outboards today. Carbon fiber reeds and a higher injection pressure give these engines low-end and mid- range power to push tournament-loaded rigs and heavy saltwater boats to new limits.

OptiMax, introduced in 1996, was the world's first direct-injected two-stroke outboard. The OptiMax injection system uses a charge of fuel and air to atomize fuel droplets directly into the combustion chamber. The fuel/air mixture is efficiently directed by Mercury's exclusive dome-shaped pistons to the spark plug, producing excellent running quality, fuel economy and low emissions.

J.D. Power & Associates recognized OptiMax for delivering the "Highest Customer Satisfaction with Two Stroke Outboard Engines Two Years in a Row, Tied in 2007."

Both engines will be manufactured at Mercury's headquarter facilities in Fond du Lac. They will be available to consumers in late summer 2007 from Mercury dealers.

B-Faithful":2juuaujy said:
Boy, the 175 would be perfect on a 21 Parker and the 250 Perfect for 23 and 25MV Parker hulls..

Original Link: http://www.mercurymarine.com/newsandeve ... .php?ID=22

Mercury launches two new engines in the fuel-efficient OptiMax family

(Jun 19, 2007) - FOND DU LAC, Wis. – This summer, Mercury Marine will add two new powerful siblings to its industry-leading OptiMax outboard family — the OptiMax 175 Pro XS and the 250 OptiMax.

The OptiMax fuel system matches — and even surpasses — the fuel efficiency of many of today's large four-strokes. Compared to traditional two-strokes, the OptiMax fuel system uses as much as 45 percent less fuel for the same running period.

Interesting. On the boat I had before my Parker, I had a Merc OptiMax. It was the 135 hp model, V6. I had no serious problems with the engine, but it was "recalled" a couple of times for factory updates.

But I wouldn't go two cycle again. My 225 Yamaha sounds much quieter than my Opti did, and at trolling speeds, I can't even hear my Yamaha. Plus, with a four cycle, there's none of that steeenking high-tech two cycle oil to deal with.

I have no problems with two cycle engines, per se, and the Optis are good technology. But I sure prefer four cycle motors these days.

B-Faithful":p9br273c said:
Boy, the 175 would be perfect on a 21 Parker and the 250 Perfect for 23 and 25MV Parker hulls ...

Yeah, but ... it's black ... ??

I'll throw some additional fuel into the '2-stroke versus 4-stroke' debate - haha!

First off, newer DI 2-strokes are CLEANER than 4-strokes. No 4-stroke motor can meet the tough, new EU regulation on emmissions (without a catalytic converter) ... yet the Evinrude E-Tec already can.

Also, in the future, we will see that you cannot cost-effectively rebuild a 4-stroke powerhead. I know a guide with a 1-year old 250hp Suzuki 4-stroke that blew up ... he will get a new powerhead after waiting 8-12 weeks :shock: , as even Suzuki doesn't recommend rebuilding them! What the ... ??

Heck, I once got 24-years out of an old V4 OMC motor and she was still running when sold! If it lost a cylinder, one could rebuild the head for short $$. These newer 4-strokes are THROW AWAY motors ... so let's just hope the run OK for youse guys in the mean time. Alas, I see ethanol reeking havoc with them ... VST filters et al ...

Is there a perfect motor? Yup, an 80s designed and made OMC V4 motor ... bulletproof, light, and powerful! They ran for YEARS! Wudda needed 3 on my big Parker though ;) ...

Come on the Black motor with the red strip would go perfect on a Parker. Right now you have the choice of an under powered 150 or overweight 200 on the 21 Parker.. That 175 Opti would be the stuff on a 21 Parker!

Black and red power would look great with a black and red logo. Feel the power 8)

Attachments

• bf3.JPG
    bf3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 169
Not a motorhead like Dale, but I have owned two and four stroke engines.

First there is the debate over which engine is "cleaner". I assume we are talking about "air cleanliness" and not "water cleanliness". The reason I say this is because where the heck does all the two cycle oil end up that is consumed by the two stroke engine? If not in the air, then that oil slick behind the boat is not exactly what I would call "clean". The four strokes I have owned over the years have NEVER burned a drop of oil. I come home with all the oil I left with. Believe it or not, I don't even check the oil anymore.

The second debate seems to be the service life of the four stroke versus the two stroke. Even if the four stroke head is not practical to rebuild, I don't think it really matters. It very well could be a throw away motor, but with a service life exceeding 5000 hours, you might as well throw ME away after that much sun exposure.

Two months ago I sat in on an invitation only round table discussion hosted by the makers of Etec engines. They were essentially looking for a way to compete with four strokes. Sitting at the table were some of the most popular charter captains from the Tampa Bay area. The long and the short of it is that nobody who has ever owned a four stroke, will ever go back to a two stroke, regardless of performance or emissions data.

jim

I have an inlaw that fishes w/Merc-Fountain. Twin Merc Opti XS motors. Awesome power. First thing they do is install ear-plugs for the run out. :lol:

I don't know (or care) how "re-buildable" a Suzuki is. In four seasons, I've got about 500 hrs on a 4S Yamaha. At this rate of use, I'll never have a reason to buy another motor. Looks like premium 4S's (Honda and Yamaha) are good for 6000+ hours.

By the way, I too had a V-4 Evinrude. Never cranked without a backfire first, how many powerpacks did you go thru? Even so, great motor for it's time. Unfortunately, Yamaha came over and changed all the rules. 8)

grouper, two strokes dont dump oil in the water. I can say that my Opti has return lines that prevent unburned oil from leaving the motor. That is the great part about the DFI's they run so lean that they can burn cleaner than a current 4 stroke. (I will say that once a 4 stroke gets DFI than the 4 strokes will take the cleanliness cake--I am sure it is coming)

fish, you cannot only feel the power but HEAR it too :lol: (certainly not the quietest sucker)

Back