Permatrim and MPG with 300Yamaha

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfish

Reaction score
Two questions: I just re-powered my 2320 going from a 2004 225 Yamaha to a new 300HP. World of difference! One thing I noticed is it seemed like I am getting better gas mileage. I used to run at about 23 MPH at 4000 RPMs, now I am doing about 3100 RPMs for the same speed. Has anybody had similar experiences? Do not have a Floscan. Secondly, has anybody used the Permatrim tab with their boat? Results? On plane faster? Thanks for you input.

pfish":1moba8h9 said:
Two questions: I just re-powered my 2320 going from a 2004 225 Yamaha to a new 300HP. World of difference! One thing I noticed is it seemed like I am getting better gas mileage. I used to run at about 23 MPH at 4000 RPMs, now I am doing about 3100 RPMs for the same speed. Has anybody had similar experiences? Do not have a Floscan. Secondly, has anybody used the Permatrim tab with their boat? Results? On plane faster? Thanks for you input.

I run a 2320 with F300 Yamaha. After installing the permtrim I was most impressed with how the boat performed in a head sea and plowing through the chop. I would recommend, but the hardest part is drilling the holes in a new outboard :shock:

I have a permatrim on my 2320 with F300. I'd never run my boat without one. I can stay on plane at a lower speed and overall the ride seems significantly smoother. at 3800rpms I'm doing between 26-29mph depending on conditions and load. I generally use little or no trim tab unless I'm trying to force the bow down. Seems like I get ever so slightly less mpg, but I also had the boat bottom painted. I may have lost a touch of top end speed. My prior top end was 49.2 in glass conditions with 1/2 a bait tank and 50g of fuel and just me. Now it seems to top out at 47.8 under similar conditions. But I've not been out on a day as smooth as my best day with the same conditions. To be honest, that day while running at 49mph it was a little hairy and felt like the boat was going to get away from me. I put it as driving a minivan at 180mph.

Being able to plane at a lower speed makes hunting for kelps a touch easier.

A-K and Djam, thanks for the response. Any idea on what you get for gas mileage? It seems like I am doing about 3/4 of a mile per gallon better than with my 225.

We continue to see similar posts. More HP can equate to better fuel economy as in your case. Your boat is loafing along now and running more efficiently as compared to the previous combination. My 2820 with T-300s gets better economy than my 2520 with a single 300.

johnkn":lozvf09p said:
We continue to see similar posts. More HP can equate to better fuel economy as in your case. Your boat is loafing along now and running more efficiently as compared to the previous combination. My 2820 with T-300s gets better economy than my 2520 with a single 300.

This! X2. Plus the newer model 300 is just more fuel efficient than what was capable in 2004. I’ve been saying for years to folks who ask, there is nothing fuel efficient about putting a small motor on a boat that needs a bigger motor. It’s not the same principle as running a Honda Civic with a 4cyl vs putting a 6.2L V8 Corvette engine in it.
Try the Permatrim, it will only improve the ride and performance. Don’t worry about the fuel affect, it won’t be enough either way to offset the ride and overall performance that you will definitely like. JMO. By the way, I’m jealous of that new 300, if my 06 225 ever bights the dust, thats what I want to put on my 2120. I fully expect that my fuel burn would improve, for the same reasons as it did for you. Enjoy it.

Totally agree that having a bit more HP than the boat "needs" is always a great thing!

Disclaimer: I don't have permatrim, nor do I think my boat needs it.

However, while I believe the claims of a better ride, there's no way it doesn't impact fuel economy. The added drag just has to be significant to have the effect of raising up the stern and lowering the bow. I spent most of my life as a racing sailor and the thought of adding that many square inches of wetted surface fighting the boat's natural tendencies would have me breaking out in a rash. As I said, it probably does improve the ride, but it will come at a cost. Period.

One of the best things I did (23DV CC) was to move my batteries out of the stern and into the forward part of the console. Dramatically improved getting and staying up on plane.

I understand why you feel that way about the Permatrim and logically the extra drag should cause loss. But as I’ve done the Mod, I can tell you that it just didn’t hurt my fuel burn in a measurable to me way. Maybe because of the offset of getting up on plane quicker and or better running angles etc., I don’t know but...? At the end of the day, if I’m burning 11.1 gal hr vs. 11 it’s a beating either way so it’s just not enough to concern me. Enjoy that 300, I’m sure it’s a huge improvement and if your happy with the set up that’s all that matters.

pfish":230s77vx said:
A-K and Djam, thanks for the response. Any idea on what you get for gas mileage? It seems like I am doing about 3/4 of a mile per gallon better than with my 225.

When my boat was very new I recorded the following data. The engine probably had 50 hours on it. The boat was lightly loaded, and dead flat sea conditions on the hood canal.

4000 rpm 2.4 mpg
4500 rpm 1.9 mpg
5100 rpm 1.6 mpg
5900 rpm 1.4 mpg

With a heavy load on the ocean I average about 1.6-1.8 mpg. This has been confirmed from trips ranging 30-60 miles off shore.

Hope this helps.

Back