Pilothouse Ventilation Questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drvan

Reaction score
Now that I have moved the 2520XL to South Florida I am having much more pitting of the aluminum – but only inside the pilothouse. I believe this is most likely due to the increased humidity inside (particularly during the days) when the boat is closed up and sitting idle. More mildew is also present in the head and attached hoses (fixed head with holding tank).
My question is what is the best way to ventilate the inside? Do I install a solar powered vent in the Bomar hatch? I need something that is secure and assume something that can be sealed when underway. Would installing a solar powered blower on the deck at the back of the pilothouse (where there is twisted but open space to the cockpit) be better? Keep in mind, it rains a lot here in the summer.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
:?:

I'd try a dorade box on top of the pilothouse, like I did. See info on which models here.

Rockport-Top-M.jpg

With prevalent winds, at least for me being on a mooring, she always faces pretty much into the breeze ;) !

drvan":266ash36 said:
My question is what is the best way to ventilate the inside? Do I install a solar powered vent in the Bomar hatch?

That is exactly what I plan to do on my boat, as soon as I can convince myself to actually cut that Bomar hatch. :shock:

I used the external and they have worked fine. lots of ventilation by leaving portholes open. got them thru Defender Marine

Beckson Rain Shields, see: http://www.beckson.com/irs.html

Internal
irs.jpg

Provide Constant Fresh Air for your boat.
Beckson's Internal Rain Shields allow windows to be left open and fresh air to circulate. Eliminates not only stagnant, unhealthy air, but also helps prevent mildew formation. No longer is opening a closed boat an overwhelming experience. Internal Rain Shields allow comfortable, healthy air flow during all warm weather conditions, including rain showers. Boat owners without Beckson Windows can install Internal Rain Shields too! Simply Caulk them in place and enjoy fresh air. Plus...eliminate the waterfall which may greet you when opening a non-Beckson window.

Open Louvered Designs For Maximum Ventilation. Heat Repelling Smoked Lens. Simply remove screen and Insert IRS!

Double Louver
Model No.
IRS-414S for 4 x 14 opening ports
IRS-512S for 5 x 12 opening ports
IRS-714S for 7 x 14 opening ports
Single Louver
Model No.
IRS-310S for 3 x 10 opening ports
IRS-410S for 4 x 10 opening ports

External

rs.jpg

Rain and Shade Hood.
The external rain shield may be fastened by screws or by bonding to the exterior trim ring of opening ports. This will keep out rain, spray and provide shade. Projection from mounting surface on all sizes is 2-1/2" (6.3 cm). Vertical dimension of hood overall, 3" (7.6 cm)

Model No. Port Size Dimensions (Overall : Under Hood)
RS-10 3 x 10 , 4 x 10 12-3/8" : 10-1/4" (31.4 : 26.0 cm)
RS-14 4 x 14 , 7 x 14 16-3/4" : 14-1/2" (42.5 : 36.8 cm)
RS-12 5 x 12 14-5/8" : 12-3/4" (37.1 : 32.4 cm)
RS-18 8 x 18 20-1/8" : 18.0" (51.1 : 45.7 cm)

Edited by DaleH to add URL & pictures ...

TimC2520

Cheerios' post got me thinking about contacting Beckson. Earlier this week I called and asked the name of the closest retailer in my area I might get the internal rain shields from. He said they didn't have a dealer I might order from close by, but they would take the order directly if I gave them a CC#. He said they currently didn't have any of my size in stock and would have to make them up. I placed an order for 2.

I also wanted to know if I'd be able to reuse the screens to keep the bugs out. He said the shields have screening material glued to the inside, so I wouldn't need to reuse the screens. He also said that installing the shields was easy - open the port, peel back the rubber gasket halfway, remove the existing screen, slide the shield in and use a mallet to reseat the gasket. Sounds like you wouldn't want to run with the ports open.

You can reach Beckson @ 203-333-1412. I'd be interested in hearing from you what they say.

I bought mine from DEFENDER they are an online marine store. Try Defender.com and I will check when i get home. In answer to using the screens, They mount outside with a bonding material and the screens are not touched. We have had a lot of rain and I found that my rugs inside below the windows are dry. My cabin smells a lot better since I have been leaving the porthole windows open.

Cheerios

When I got mine I ordered the RS-18, order#900293, $26.99 ea They fit just right. You will notice a difference walking by but we got used to it and they vent the cabin all the time and no water has come in. I have a 2520XL I'm not sure the other models windows are the same.

Cheerios

Less than 24 hours after ordering from defender.com.
Here are some photos, they look to be made pretty well, smoked lens.
These are size 5X12 for my 2520.
Now I just have to convince the wifey these were "safety" items :lol:

Attachments

• P7220001.JPG
    P7220001.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,664
  • P7220002.JPG
    P7220002.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,664
  • P7220004.JPG
    P7220004.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,666
  • P7220006.JPG
    P7220006.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,666
  • P7220007.JPG
    P7220007.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 1,666
  • P7220008.JPG
    P7220008.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,665
Megabyte":331osgg9 said:
I'm liking these better than cutting my Bomar hatch. :shock:

But ... in HEAVY seas, I have had full height waves crash onto the trunk cabin and helm windshield. Can these be closed from the inside? Meaning, do the louvers face the OUTSIDE of the boat?

If so, how much $$ ... ?

DaleH":1f48wlz2 said:
Megabyte":1f48wlz2 said:
I'm liking these better than cutting my Bomar hatch. :shock:

But ... in HEAVY seas, I have had full height waves crash onto the trunk cabin and helm windshield. Can these be closed from the inside? Meaning, do the louvers face the OUTSIDE of the boat?

Not certain, but it looks like it.

p7220004_480.jpg

I think they were designed to allow airflow in or heat out of the cabin, primarily when docked or on a trailer. I would be inclined to close the windows when running in rough seas.

I'm with Kevin. These look like a better alternative to cutting the bowmar.

Although, the solar powered fan driven vent along with the dorado probably does a better job or truly circulated stagnant air.

This is a lot easier and cheaper way to let heat out.

TheOtherLine":293cy6x7 said:
I think they were designed to allow airflow in or heat out of the cabin, primarily when docked or on a trailer. I would be inclined to close the windows when running in rough seas.

I'm with Kevin. These look like a better alternative to cutting the bowmar.

Although, the solar powered fan driven vent along with the dorado probably does a better job or truly circulated stagnant air.

This is a lot easier and cheaper way to let heat out.
I think these combined with my dorade box on the helm roof (to let air in) will be slick!

GREAT info and post :D .

Had 'em in a short time. The ports close as the louvers install out and screen side in. Air circulation is noticeable in the v-berth area, and temperature is lower than in main part of PH. No water intrusion after two thunderstorms.

Mokee is correct, louvers face out, the original door to the port hole still operates normally. I won't have a chance to install until this weekend, but I have, in the past, changed the screens before and this looks no different than that. Lastly, I would not run with the port holes open as I'm sure spray would still come in, however, at the dock, I can't see how any type of rain would come in.
Also, I posted a photo of the box they came in. On the right side of the box there is a diagram, between the words "keep rain out" and "easy to install". You can see in the diagram the port hole doors as it sits open with the louvers facing out. $90.97 for the two, that included shippping.

Back