Pilothouse Ventilation Questions

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called Defender and these items were out of stock, but placed my order and they should be delivered within 14 days.

I explained to the person at Defender that these items had been 'discovered' by the folks at ClassicParker and that they might be getting a lot of calls for this part. :D

How many Sport Cabin owners do you think we have here on CP? 8)

I also installed a dorade.......... directly over my head when I am operating the boat. The dorade has a handle to adjust the air flow from zero to open. After I installed it I shot the marina hose at it with the inside handle in the full open position and not a drop of water in the boat. And I leave it open all the time now and the boat is much cooler when I open it up.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AIR-ONLY-cowl-dorade ... m153.l1262

I did buy from the woman in the picture before she got an EBay site. Took awhile for her to send it ( forget what country she is in) but all worked fine. I bought a hole saw that worked perfectly. Clever how the dorade works if you check out her site.................Pete

greatcir":2tz61adu said:
I also installed a dorade.......... directly over my head when I am operating the boat. The dorade has a handle to adjust the air flow from zero to open. After I installed it I shot the marina hose at it with the inside handle in the full open position and not a drop of water in the boat. And I leave it open all the time now and the boat is much cooler when I open it up.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AIR-ONLY-cowl-dorade ... m153.l1262

I did buy from the woman in the picture before she got an EBay site. Took awhile for her to send it ( forget what country she is in) but all worked fine. I bought a hole saw that worked perfectly. Clever how the dorade works if you check out her site.................Pete

Any pics of the dorade installed? I have a new one sitting in a box, just haven't had the guts to install it yet. :oops:

does anyone know if these would fit the newer style windows. I have a 2006 2820. thank you.

They did not fit my 2004 2520XL. Parker changes the port holes from time to time. You will have to contact a dealer or Parker to find out which ones you have.
By the way, these vents will not suffice for the heat and humidity in South Florida as they will not allow enough air circulation. I spoke to Linwood Parker about this - he told me there were two options, fans that will move more air (he said the hatch type vents/fans will not move enough air) or air conditioning. If you choose either, they should be left running while the boat is docked - requiring shore power or a battery charger.
The sun, rain and humidity in the summer down here is significantly different from my prior experience in New England. While running with the windows open, it is usually quite comfortable - certainly more comfortable than being outside the pilot house. But sitting at the dock for any period with the windows/doors locked can make for quite a sauna.

I am not sure it is a ventalation issue: I have a 55' covered slip for my 2530 in my back yard, consequently I always have all four of my pilothouse screens opened about a quarter, as well as the forward cabin port holes. I have no mildew but I still get the pitting on the interior aluminum.

Here are a few shots of the literature for my dorade and the material I hole sawed out in the roof for the opening right over my head when I am sitting at the helm.

I leave the dorade open year round and only close it when it is too cold on my head in the winter. Sometimes it serves me as well as opening the forward port widow when I am underway - and never a drop of water on my head running or washing the boat. I wanted the ventilation at the highest point in my pilot house especially to let the heat out of the closed cabin.

Cut hole through roof then cut the tube to the right length to fit the depth of the hole then installed & sealed the dorade in place over the tube and installed the interior ring.............Pete

Attachments

• 100_0524 (Small).JPG
    100_0524 (Small).JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_0525 (Small).JPG
    100_0525 (Small).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_0526 (Small).JPG
    100_0526 (Small).JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 259
drvan":3rzuta86 said:
They did not fit my 2004 2520XL. Parker changes the port holes from time to time. You will have to contact a dealer or Parker to find out which ones you have.
By the way, these vents will not suffice for the heat and humidity in South Florida as they will not allow enough air circulation. I spoke to Linwood Parker about this - he told me there were two options, fans that will move more air (he said the hatch type vents/fans will not move enough air) or air conditioning. If you choose either, they should be left running while the boat is docked - requiring shore power or a battery charger.
The sun, rain and humidity in the summer down here is significantly different from my prior experience in New England. While running with the windows open, it is usually quite comfortable - certainly more comfortable than being outside the pilot house. But sitting at the dock for any period with the windows/doors locked can make for quite a sauna.

I had research this extensively and the nicor solar fan and dorade exhaust is what you want to do.

No shore power required.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=12407

I had purchased the material. I then discovered that on my bowmar hatch, it was GLASS, not plastic or plexi material. Project ended there. The Dorade by itself will not circulate the air enough.

Good Luck

I do not know how all the Parkers are configured, but my 2007 2120 has open holes for wire and cable runs on the port & starboard sides at the aft end of the sides of the pilot house and they can let in or out air. So these holes (which I have not closed or sealed) combined with my dorade in the ceiling do provide nearly constant ventilation at my dock. And I do try to keep the dorade scoop facing into the prevailing wind at my dock. This reduces the heat build up in the summer sun and when I run in the winter - like now - it helps keep the widows from fogging.................Pete

Back