Plastic Stuff Stuck On The Hull

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drvan

Reaction score
I have had the boat in the water on a canal for several months and used a buoy (ball) to keep the boat from hitting a stationary dock. There is traffic coming up and down the canal making this necessary. Unfortunately, material from the buoy ball has become stubbornly adherent to the hull (photo’s below). I can pick it off with my fingernail but it is tightly stuck. Washing with a stiff brush, waxing, and soft scrub has not worked. I have not tried any solvents yet – I am afraid of damaging the gel coat.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 619
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 619
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 619
I think a light solvent may be you’re only coarse of action. Try GooGone and have a clean rag ready to clean it off right after you get the crap off. Wash and wax immediately after and do not rub real hard with the GooGone. You should be fine.

We ahad a similar situation on the ferry boat I work on. The orange polyball fenders picked up goo from the dock, we think diesel soot, and as the polyballs rotated the goo deposited on the hull. Found out that the orange ones are more likeky to do this than the white ones.

Figure out what the goo is then use an appropriate solvent to remove it without harming the gelcoat. Like Maxout said, wash and wax afterwards.

I get that from grease on the top of slow moving water. "don't let your balls dangle in the water" Keep them tied a little higher.

Gumout spray on a paper towel does a pretty good job of removing this crap.

PP

Drvan - Try WD-40. Spray it on, let it sit for a few seconds then wipe off. The WD-40 will disolve the plastic goo.

Brad

Parker":39dpjb33 said:
Drvan - Try WD-40. Spray it on, let it sit for a few seconds then wipe off. The WD-40 will disolve the plastic goo.

I agree. WD40 generally does a pretty good job with this stuff.
If you find that you need something a little stronger, try automotive bug and tar remover.

If nothing else works, mineral spirits or acetone (in that order).
If you go this route, keep the material away from your logo as acetone will remove the top (black) layer of the logo.

I tried several things including WD-40 and oil based products without much success. What did work was 70% isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) and even better was denatured alcohol. Neither seemed to damage the gelcoat or lettering. After cleaning the stuff off, I waxed over the cleaned areas.
I have since replaced the orange ball with a white one (hanging above the water) and so far, I have not noticed additional marks.
Thanks!

Drvan, if the marks are "goo" from the dock being transfered onto the ball, you could possibly tie 2 lines to the ball in a V fashion. This way the ball may not rotate, keeping the goo side facing the dock, preventing transfer to your hull.

Jim

Back