Please Help Me Price This Boat - 25ft Parker cc Twin Yamaha

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Chance

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm new to this site but was referenced to your "home" by several of your active and contributing members. I hope that I can contribute to your fine site as well with the 25yeas of boating experience taht I have with much of this coming as a charter boat captain here on the Chesapeake and Atlantic. But.....

I need your help on pricing a boat that I am getting ready to sell.

I have a 1986 Parker 25ft cc powered by a pair of 1986 Yamaha 150's, all carried by 1986 Loadrite galvanized trailer. Overall, everything is in excellent condition, has been cared for beyond reasonable expectations. I'm not saying this as an exaggeration but just to give you an idea of the overall condition of what I want you to help me price. Looking at the boat and trailer, you would think that these items are not more than 5-10 years old. The motors have been professionally repainted and LOOK new and RUN fine but are years old. I know that the value in the package is in the hull and trailer and only minor value in the 2 motors but here's are the specs:

The Boat: Overall excellent condition. Hull has been waxed 1-2x/year. Gel coat is in excellent condition. Sole is in excellent condition. Absolutely no soft spots. Has a cc, T-Top, New canvas on TT, forward and permanent mounted cooler with a swinging back support allowing the cooler to serve as a seat. Overall, hull is in excellent condition and very well cared for. Used about 10x/year and stored indoors when not in use. Also - No bottom paint.

Motors are ...... well 1986's. Run excellent and w/o any problems but...... they are 20 years old. Have about 600hrs on them.

Trailer - Tandem axle, galvanized. 64 rollers. New brakes. Overall excellent condition. No rust ANYWHERE including on the springs or axles. You would swear that the trailer is only 5-6 years old. Electric winch w/ SS cable.

Misc - New Raymarine electronics (c-80) w/ sonar and GPS. Hynautic steering. Two new Racor filters.

So what do you think on pricing? $12 - $14k? $14 - 16k? $16-18k? $18-20k? More? Less? I really am at a loss here on where to price?

Chris

The trick is to look at other websites and people to find out the tolerance of the market. The used boat market is bad right now though because of the fuel prices and everything else that effects the economy........

I would look at

www.boattraderonline.com

www.yachtworld.com

www.boats.com

If one similar to yours and then raise the price 3-4 grand simply because yours was stored indoors, mint condition, no bottom paint, ect.....

Older Yamahas run great but have a steel shift shaft that will need to be replace down the road. The reason this is so difficult is because you need to pull the powerhead off to do this and 9times out of 10, you break the bolts off and then labor triples. It is a 4k job just to replace those shafts.

IMO I would think your boat would be 15k-18k.

I would value it just as a hull in my opinion. You buy it for 15k, replace the fuel tank and drop twin 200HPDI and have a boat as good as new for 1/3 the price.

Just my humble opinion. Good Luck

Where is the boat located? Do you have pictures?

Thanks, george

Pricing a 21 year old cream-puff is sooooooo difficult to do.

Stored and used as you've said, it is as good as a new hull, even though some folks wouldn't agree.
1986 motors that have cared for are equally good. I'd have no problem with them, though on the used boat market, motors of that vintage don't have a lot of value. :(

This is kind of like asking what an "original, unmolested 31 Bertram Sedan, used as a VMRC police boat" is worth.
To me, it would be worth a lot! To others, it's just an 'old boat'.
Value is in the eye of the beholder, and luckilly, you do have a model that has value to people who really know Parkers.

Is she a Sou`wester by chance?

Just by your description and without seeing photos, I'd guess 15k to 17k, but I'd still love to see some photos of that girl. :wink:

Thanks guys and p[lease keep your valuable comments coming. To answe a few questions---

Yes she is a Sou-wester. We (my father and I) actually own 2 - 1986 Sou'westers -- his is a Cabin with a 225 Etec and mine is a cc. Pure accident but sort of worked out that way.

I forgot to mention, taht mine also has a real nice leaning post with full storage/teak drawers on the aft side, grab bars and 4 built in SS rod holders. Overall, one of the nicest leaning posts I've ever seen.

I have checked all of the on-line boat-sales places (boattrader, yachtworld) and nothing really compares. I found a 1991 25ft cc with an equal vintage motor for $19k but not as nice as mine.

And this 1991 cabin and I/O for $28k forhttp://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi ... =1857&url=

And this 1990 Cabin for $29k
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... earchtype=

But despite the price and condition of these vessels already on the market, I still fall back on the fact taht my motors are 21 years old and I know that this is a huge detractor to the sale (and price of) my boat despite the excellent running condition of both motors.

Any additional comments?

Chris

WOW!!! That 25ft Parker has twin 250hps. That thing must move.

To play it safe put down "asking 23k" . That lets people know there is wiggle room in the price.

Good Chance":25it5dsr said:
But despite the price and condition of these vessels already on the market, I still fall back on the fact taht my motors are 21 years old and I know that this is a huge detractor to the sale (and price of) my boat despite the excellent running condition of both motors.

Chris... Don't write off the motors.
There are some people who like the older, original motors.
To some of us, that can be an asset. :wink:

captbone":14sdmg0r said:
WOW!!! That 25ft Parker has twin 250hps. That thing must move.

To play it safe put down "asking 23k" . That lets people know there is wiggle room in the price.

No -- Either I mis-spoke or you mis-read --- she has twin 150's. Cruises at about 25kts at 4000 and tops out at 42kts.

Thanks for you advice Kevin on the motors. Maybe someone actually wants a pair of older yet simple motors -- or atl east the value in the motors may not be quite as low as I am now thinking.

Chris

from what I read here no one wants 2 strokes...I would not want 20 year old CARBURATED 2-strokes either.

But I still think the boat is worth a solid 20 Grand.

trailer is no great shakes...

bajadude":1mhec8pw said:
from what I read here no one wants 2 strokes...I would not want 20 year old CARBURATED 2-strokes either.

I'm one who would prefer 2 stroke carburated Yamahas over the 4 strokes any time. More power to weight and those things are bulletproof for off shore use.

The main issue with those older Yamaha is that stainless steel was not used for the shift shaft and something else I believe.

But if they're clean and relatively corrosion free, they may come apart easily should repairs be necessary.

Burtona":2d4dg2f3 said:
bajadude":2d4dg2f3 said:

I'm one who would prefer 2 stroke carburated Yamahas over the 4 strokes any time. More power to weight and those things are bulletproof for off shore use.

I, too, prefer two strokes over four strokers any day.

JWL":1u5a4gal said:
Burtona":1u5a4gal said:
bajadude":1u5a4gal said:

I, too, prefer two strokes over four strokers any day.

true, the power issue is great, but i just figured out that with my gas burn, i can reach exactly one (1) and only canyon and still have fuel to troll :( :( :( ..... i'd trade those 2 strokes for fours any day now

pelagic2530":34t1y7wo said:
true, the power issue is great, but i just figured out that with my gas burn, i can reach exactly one (1) and only canyon and still have fuel to troll :( :( :(

Baltimore?

Back