Porkchunker Question Regarding a Gelcoat Repair

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara F

Reaction score
Porkchunker, I read your post concerning the gelcoat repairs that you made on your Parker. Great job very well done. I have a couple of gouges on the hull from a mishap with my trailer. I got some gelcoat and hardner from my Parker dealer. The gouges are not deep. My question is can I use the gelcoat to fill in the gouges or, do I have to use a putty 1st then finish it off with the gelcoat or, can I just fill in the gouges with the gelcoat by itself?

No respnse yet form Porkchucker. Can anyone else add some clarity to my Gelcoat application issue above? Dale, you appear to be very knowledgeable on such items, any suggstions? I hate seeing the gouges in her beautiful hull and want to get started as soon as the rain in NJ stops. Thanks!

If not deep (meaning you can't see any layup or glass substrate) you can use thickened gelcoat, thickened with cabosil. When thickened, any filler can tint the mix lighter, so go a little less than flush. Use std gelcoat to topcoat the repair. All gelcoat work takes is time & patience. Use the info on here and you'll do well. I find when sanding that my wet paper spends more time in the water being flushed than being worked. And use a backer, so you don't dish the area.

Have fun with it!

Dale, you are the man. Thanks, that is exactl what I needed to know. Now I can get my 'baby' back to showroom condition.

Back