portable AC Unit

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mx beach guy

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a carry on ac unit on there pilot
house.This is the one that goes thru the hatch up front.
Can this be a permanent install an leak proof?
The boat is a 2120 I have.Also Ive only used the boat
once wit no nose dives can I expect some noses dives
which may drench the unit?

Had the bow dig in pretty deep on mine but the flared hull does a pretty good job of keeping the water off, never had it fully awash. Will get considerable spray on that hatch in some conditions. I try to keep it trimed to avoid getting that much of the bow under.

I'm normally turning about and heading home if it gets bad enough to get that wet up there, however.

What kind of AC unit are you considering? Something designed for the marine environment?

I do not think that unit is made to used while under way, you would need a long power cord.

Ive got a generator on board.What I was wondering
would the carry on ac stop the water from coming
in the hatch hole. West marine sells these units.

Have you considered a rooftop RV air conditioner?
IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

Jeff
Is that your boat,An yes Ive considered
the roof top .How well did it seal.Was it an easy
install?Thats really the way to go.What size boat
is that.Looks Great the insall job,What size geneartor
an where did you put the Gen?

Is that your boat, Yes and No. I own a minor share.
Thats really the way to go.. We thought so too.
Was it an easy install? I thought so...
What size boat is that. It's a 2120
How well did it seal. So far perfectly!
What size geneartor an where did you put the Gen? See below.
Great the insall job, Thanks.

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6726.jpg

We did relocate the nav light and removed the rocket launchers. Other than that and the hole in the roof, there's not much to it.

I installed a 6500btu mermaid unit under the passenger seat and it fit great but with the solar load it did nothing, so mermaid said to use there 12,000BTu unit, But after seeing all the rooftop units coleman has a marine unit for the roof its called the sea mach 13,500Btu, Does anyone have any advice on what unit I should use. the water cooled mermaid 12,000btu that it is set up for or the coleman roof unit.
Thank You.

You could get by with direct cool on the 6,500 BTU as here:
http://www.geocities.com/jeff_nicholas/ ... /Air3.html
We like being outside in nice weather.

Trouble with the water cooled jobs is that they can't be used while the boat is on the trailer.

You might compare the cost of the Coleman marine vs RV units. My window unit was in service for over 4 years on the cockpit floor of my cuddy. It was working fine when I took it out, but getting rusty -- set me back $124 for a new 6,000 (which the Honda runs without any problems).
http://seastriper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6354

Here's a pic of the rooftop unit at the Mackinac Bridge taken last week. The AC is still running strong.
IMG_2034.jpg

Please let me know how the ait is working Im about to cut that hole to put a 13,500btu unit up there i just wanted to make sure how yours is doing in this hot weather and with water over the nose.
Thank You for your time,
Deepparker

The rooftop unit gets the job done in 100* weather -- especially nice in the evenings at anchor if the bugs are out (or my favorite...an afternoon nap).

Since it was installed, we haven't had any concerns at all. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Did I mention, we installed an electric fuel pump on the Parker auxiliary fuel port so we can keep the generator filled without carying gas cans?

mx beach guy":2qgndl37 said:
Jeff
You mentioned you removed the launchers is this a must?

We don't fish, so keeping the launchers was not a priority. There may be a way to incorporate them...we wanted to put the rooftop unit back as far as possible. From the ease of installation standpoint and efficiency of the air conditioning, I'd do it exactly the same way again if I put in another one.

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

So....I'm bringing back a 7yr old thread. The links are dead now.

So what model is it? I'm having a size issue with the combination of the Crows Nest.

I need to get this nailed down.

Phil":1pgu7v05 said:
With the size of the cabin of the 2530, you might want get one of these standup unit and pipe the duct thru the vberth roof and top it off with a dorade(sp?) vent.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPT-9-000-BT ... /202677440

That R2D2 unit takes up a lot of interior space, must be secured well and the hose is very awkward.
We tried it both in the boat and in the van - we weren't happy with the R2D2 unit in either place.
http://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... rator.html

Well.....As you may have seen, I'm installing a Crows Nest. The bolt thru points for the front legs are in the double thickness area just behind the chase tube in the headliner.

100_4504.jpg

This set the position of the Crows Nest on the Hardtop and ate the otherwise large area of the Hardtop up.

There would easily be enough room if a roof unit was turned sideways. But I don't know a lot about them and wonder if they can be turned sideways?

Never mind the fact that most of the shroud's on them are designed streamlined to travel with less resistance in the wind. IE: Cosmetically would not look right set sideways.

I also want to stick with a running it off a 2000 Honda. 1] because I have one already. 2] because of their small compact size.

This limits the size of the A/C that can be powered. Honda 2000 spec's : 1600W and 13.3A continuous.........If you get higher than that you will over tax the generator and shorten it's life. It can take it higher for a nano second as when the compressor starts.

I have a Lot of plans in my head. As it has turned out..... This Crows Nest is a Proto Type for our boat. The builder is working with me on this to achieve all these goals.

Back