Power for 2520XL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Reaction score
I am looking at a used 2520XL DV that is powered by a Yamaha F225 four stroke. Will the boat be a little under powered with this hp. Any pros or cons?

The XL is not a DV. XL is a 16 degree deadrise, and the DV is a 21 degree deadrise.

IMO, the 225hp is OK with the XL, but will not be enough for a DV.

John_Madison CT":31uize0p said:
The XL is not a DV. XL is a 16 degree deadrise, and the DV is a 21 degree deadrise.

IMO, the 225hp is OK with the XL, but will not be enough for a DV.

You are correct. I also think that it is a Modified Vee. However the owner swears that it is a DV and has a 21 degree deadrise. I'm going to see the boat this weekend to clear up a few questions. My main concern is the 225. There is an 855 lb difference in hull weight when comparing the DV to the MV.

I went to see the boat today. It is a DV with a 21 degree dead rise. The owners paperwork in fact does state it is a Parker 2520XL DV. I can only guess that Parker made a mistake when filling out the paper work. His opinion is that the 225 is plenty of power for his boat.

Before I bought the boat I have, I check out another one that had the wrong capacity plate on the boat. The boat was a Mod V and it had the Deep V plate on the boat. If I remenber that mod v was rated for 500 hp or more.

I think twin 225's would be plenty of power IMO. If it's only one 225 on a DV no way is it enough power

i have a 2520xl with a single 225 yamaha 4 stroke. underpowered? my call is borderline. i know the new ones come with a 250 on them. if i am full of fuel, crew and gear for a day fishing, she is very sluggish. it gets the job done, but i think that it is a bit underpowered. when she is down a half bag on fuel, the power feels about right.

Consider these points: (I believe them to be correct)

If the boat is stock and not modified in any major way....then:

A 2520 XL will state so with the decals on the cabin.

A 2520 DV will be underpowered with an F225 and I don't think a DV ever was sent out with an F225

If it is a notched transom it can't be an XL or an XLD as they come standard with full transoms.

Starting with 2006 models there was the addition of the 2520 XLD which combines the longer cabin of the XL with the 21 degree deadrise hull.

So I deduce.... the boat you are looking at is likely a 2520 XL with an F225.

What type of fishing and water will you be spending the majority of time in?

What year was the boat made?

I think the major thing you need to be wary of is if this boat is in fact a DV and it was repowered with an F225.....wihich in my opinion would be very undesireable as it would definitely be underpowered.

Richard

I have a 2520 DV w/ twin Yamaha 200's (2 stroke). I believe the boat you are looking at would be significantly underpowered w/ a single F-225. I bet you would have to be at WOT to get her up on a plane if you had 4 people and full tank of gas.

As fishdoc stated you have to determine whether the boat is an xl or newer xld.( XLD=21degree XL=16 degree) I doubt if anyone would rig an XLD with a single 225, it would be severly underpowered. The 225F is adequate for the XL at best.(I own one) There was a dealer in Jersey I cooresponded with before I bought my "04 XL and he was advertising the 16degree XL as a "all new DV" model back in 2004. I e-mailed them about it to confirm 16degree deadrise. He confirmed 16 and I asked him how he could advertise it DV and he stuck to his guns trying to jive me about angle of entry ect. ect. Thought they were pretty deceptive or incompetant. Don't know if that's your guy or not.

i believe (i could be wrong) that the XL hull had the entry deadrise of the deep vee for the ride, and the stern deadrise of the mod vee, supposedly for the stability. therefore, it will be more sluggish than the deep vee, but less than the mod vee. personally, i wouldnt go for less than a 250, but its your call. sea-trial first and find out for yourself.

Back