Pretty bummed about this, 23SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodick93

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of swapping boats, from my '19 2320 to a new 21 or 23SE. With my daughter in college or working and my son working nights full time for almost a year, I see many more trips alone or just my wife and I. The 2320 is a lot of boat to run to my local lake myself routinely.
Anyhoo, I went to our closest Parker dealer today (the same one from which I purchased my 2320) and walked over / measured the 21 and 23 SEs. I like standing on the gunwales while holding onto the top, so I stepped up on the gunwale and felt more flex than I was expecting. There is some MIGHTY THIN laminate in the vertical area on these 2023s. Dang it.
When you think Parker, you think solid, not this.
IMG_20230417_180017661_HDR.jpg

The 21SE was barely more. We're talking a 1/8" thick laminate. Very disappointed. Of course the horizontal section of the gunwales is much thicker since It has to support the rod holders, but not even in the same league as my 2320. The gunwale relies on this angled glass to gain the stiffness in the gunwale. The particular boat had no forward seating, which is cool with me.
He also had a new 25SE, and that laminate was thicker and had additional hull side stiffeners due to the length. I looked at several older Parkers, no skimping on the glass in those either.
Decks are still solid as a rock.

Last edited:
I have been kicking around the idea of swapping boats, from my '19 2320 to a new 21 or 23SE. With my daughter in college or working and my son working nights full time for almost a year, I see many more trips alone or just my wife and I. The 2320 is a lot of boat to run to my local lake myself routinely.
Anyhoo, I went to our closest Parker dealer today (the same one from which I purchased my 2320) and walked over / measured the 21 and 23 SEs. I like standing on the gunwales while holding onto the top, so I stepped up on the gunwale and felt more flex than I was expecting. There is some MIGHTY THIN laminate in the vertical area on these 2023s. Dang it.
When you think Parker, you think solid, not this.
View attachment 36258

The 21SE was barely more. We're talking a 1/8" thick laminate. Very disappointed. Of course the horizontal section of the gunwales is much thicker since It has to support the rod holders, but not even in the same league as my 2320. The gunwale relies on this angled glass to gain the stiffness in the gunwale. The particular boat had no forward seating, which is cool with me.
He also had a new 25SE, and that laminate was thicker and had additional hull side stiffeners due to the length. I looked at several older Parkers, no skimping on the glass in those either.
Decks are still solid as a rock.
I've got a 2017 23SE since new and never felt any flex at all when I step my 210lbs on it. I wonder if the new owners at Parker are cutting corners. That would be a shame. I'll take a closer look at mine next trip.

I've got a 2017 23SE since new and never felt any flex at all when I step my 210lbs on it. I wonder if the new owners at Parker are cutting corners. That would be a shame. I'll take a closer look at mine next trip.
Man, that is the first thing I thought. When I grabbed that vertical surface for a "toughness" shake, I was surprised. My first thought was "Effing Correct Craft is cutting cost."
I don't mean to make them seem flimsy, but I am 180lbs and they creaked when I stepped over on there. That's when I looked under.

Man, that is the first thing I thought. When I grabbed that vertical surface for a "toughness" shake, I was surprised. My first thought was "Effing Correct Craft is cutting cost."
I don't mean to make them seem flimsy, but I am 180lbs and they creaked when I stepped over on there. That's when I looked under.
Your post made me curious so I measured my 2017 23SE in the area you showed. Mine varied between 3/16ths and 1/4" and no noticeable flex or creak going on. This is my seventh season and have had her on many 60-70 miles days sometimes on rough days and it never felt flimsy. I've had her slam in choppy seas and no cracks anywhere I can find. For a shallow draft relatively light boat it gives me all I could expect from a reasonably priced 23 Center console. I drift fish 90% of the time and the stability of the Mod V is very good and usually drifts stern to the seas. Most of the deep V boats I've drift fished on seemed to drift beam to sea and rocked a lot while fishing. I've formed this opinion after 20 years piloting much heavier 2520 PH & 2520XL pilothouses. Yes, sometimes I miss the PH but the center console has it's benefits too.

My glass is good, no flex here, nice and thick! But I have plenty of other Quality issues. My gel coat is thinner than a hair in some spots. I have various screws that have been wrongly installed, holes where screws/bolts should go and nothing installed, bolts too short, and screws half installed then taped over! All quality issues that I felt that should have been corrected on the floor or by the dealer upon arrival.

My glass is good, no flex here, nice and thick! But I have plenty of other Quality issues. My gel coat is thinner than a hair in some spots. I have various screws that have been wrongly installed, holes where screws/bolts should go and nothing installed, bolts too short, and screws half installed then taped over! All quality issues that I felt that should have been corrected on the floor or by the dealer upon arrival.
One thing I forgot to mention is the painted white screws that secure the live well to the deck were rusting. When I removed them to clean them up I noticed they didn't use a sealant on the screws to protect from water intrusion to the wood. I suppose I should check the screws holding the console to the deck too. Whoever designed the mounting of the forward rod/cup holders wasn't a fisherman because they're installed so the rods face directly forward. I've yet to encounter sea conditions where I could utilize them in this position. I may have to "McGiver" something to reposition them. My 23SE is a great fuel efficient fishing boat but needs a little tweaking. BTW, the bright white deck looks great but pretty tough to keep clean after a long bloody day of fishing. I removed the aft seat cushions because I knew what they'd look like if I didn't. I'll reinstall when/if I ever sell it.

BTW, the bright white deck looks great but pretty tough to keep clean after a long bloody day of fishing. I removed the aft seat cushions because I knew what they'd look like if I didn't. I'll reinstall when/if I ever sell it.

DSCN0581 (002).JPG

Based on your history of bringing them in big and bloody, I think that's a wise choice Cap'n

I saw an old cream colored 2300 SE at some fire training in Chesterfield. The vertical section of the gunwale was 1/4" if it was a mm. Pretty awesome, but I get thinning them when not necessary. But stop already Parker, please.

Last edited:
Back