Prop advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddy Mackarel

Reaction score
I finally repowered my 2520XL Parker from a F250 to a F300 Yamaha (cost was Painful!). This is the 16° dead rise model Parker and 250 was bordering on adequate when fully loaded with a full bait tank, ice, fuel and four guys. Just broke in the new engine last night lobstering and noticed that the old prop seemed a bit off when pushing onto plane and around 3-4000 RPM. I have a four blade Revolution prop which was perfect on my F250 and I’m wondering if I need a new prop or just need to tune the old one. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 7E0EC792-A9F5-4850-B42C-1B8754ABBAFA.png
    7E0EC792-A9F5-4850-B42C-1B8754ABBAFA.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 7CE47D40-20CA-4A45-98E0-F2F8F8D3924F.png
    7CE47D40-20CA-4A45-98E0-F2F8F8D3924F.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 28
I finally repowered my 2520XL Parker from a F250 to a F300 Yamaha (cost was Painful!). This is the 16° dead rise model Parker and 250 was bordering on adequate when fully loaded with a full bait tank, ice, fuel and four guys. Just broke in the new engine last night lobstering and noticed that the old prop seemed a bit off when pushing onto plane and around 3-4000 RPM. I have a four blade Revolution prop which was perfect on my F250 and I’m wondering if I need a new prop or just need to tune the old one. Thoughts?
Contact Ken a prop gods and he'll set you straight.

When you say "off," what does that mean? Vibration? What is your max RPM? Can you reach 6k? You just added some HP, might the hub be spun? You can mark the hub and prop, run it and make sure the marks don't change in relation to one another. I would guess that prop would allow 6k no problem if you could get it with a 250. Is it a 3.3 liter 250 and a 4.2 liter 300? I think I read they are geared differently, 3.3 vs 4.2. Let us know when you get sorted, it will really help the next folks. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, it vibrates which is apparently a known problem with the Yamaha 300 and some other outboards. The fix is a “soft hub”. I ordered a new Powertech OFS IV 15 pitch from Ken at Prop Gods and will report back.

Yes, it vibrates which is apparently a known problem with the Yamaha 300 and some other outboards. The fix is a “soft hub”. I ordered a new one

I used the Yamaha Saltwater Series II the first year which came with the boat new 2015 2520XLD. I switched to a 4 blade Powertech and was able to get on plane quicker and a little improved fuel consumption. I actually spun the hub on it when I splashed on Friday and put the Yami prop back on for now. Bringing the Powertech to get re-hubbed tomorrow. You also lose a little off the top end, which was no big deal to me.

I used the Yamaha Saltwater Series II the first year which came with the boat new 2015 2520XLD. I switched to a 4 blade Powertech and was able to get on plane quicker and a little improved fuel consumption. I actually spun the hub on it when I splashed on Friday and put the Yami prop back on for now. Bringing the Powertech to get re-hubbed tomorrow. You also lose a little off the top end, which was no big deal to me.

The beauty of PowerTech props is there are easy to "re-Hub." You can get the hub sticks and do it yourself. I carry spares on my boat just in case.

Back