Prop Spins in Neutral

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

got_em_on

Reaction score
Started the boat up today after changing fluids and the prop on the counter rotating motor spins while in neutral. The right hand motor does not spin.

This is our first year with the boat and our first boat with twins.

Engines are 2004 Yam F150's boat was in driveway with muffs on. It was not in the water.

Any ideas?

Yup ... OBs exhaust THROUGH the props, so it is the gas turning it. Nothing to worry about.

As far as why one does and the other doesn't, the crankshaft direction is the same, whereas the counter-rotation is done down inside the lower gearcase bulb, so I would 'guess' that it is easier for the gas to spin a RH prop with RH-turning propshaft, versus the other direction ... or some variation on that idea.

It spins freely by hand when motor is off so it seems like it is actually neutral and not slightly in gear.

We also did put it in forward and reverse slightly when running to make sure we were actually in neutral as well.

Seemed odd but I guess it is OK.

Anyone else experience it?

Happens on almost any O/B I run, and I run a lot of them...Suzis, Yams, Mercs, Etecs, Hondas. Yank the prop off and the shaft just sits there...

Back