Pros and Cons of outboard brackets

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
notched transom...you couldn't give me a bracket...the engine takes a beating on the bracket,it's way more corroded,i can spot an engine and tell you it's been on a bracket...
plus...the bracket,if you use the incorrect antifouling paint,it will corrode and that my friend is not a good thing...i've seen pics of quite a few boats on this site,the brackets are incorrectly painted...an aluminum bracket needs to be painted with trilux,not a copper based antifouling paint...there also needs to be a gap between the transom paint and the tin based paint on the bracket...i've not seen many boats painted in that way here....this will lead to a bad thing later down the road...trust me guys,correct it now,before it's too late....

I think my motor takes less spray for corrossion due to the fact that my engine is mounted high with the shallow transom deadrise. I am sure the Parkers are the same. It is not like on some boats where the engines are mounted so low with 25" engines on a bracket of a deep v where spray and back wash coming off plane soaks the motors with salt water.

Yes the bracket needs to be painted with the appropriate paint but I wouldnt give up my full transom drifting the cape may rips. It only takes one wave to lap the transom to make the cockpit filled with water. While it may drain quickly, i like keeping the water out of the boat. I have been in a full transom boat and had water come into the boat on a rougher day. (drifting with the engine idled in gear to keep the transom and eels drifting back in to the rips. ) Using the correct paint and annodes will allow a bracket to last a long time.

Only down side is keeping the fish away from the motor at times. It obviously is a longer reach. With that said, due to diligence I have not lost a fish to the the motor and this is my second boat with a bracket.

slowing down from plane,the engine,on a bracket boat,will almost become submerged,that's not good...the 4 stoke engines,you need to be careful concerning the exhaust reliefs...
water in the boat,here's a good one,take a look at the way out for the water on a bracket boat...pay attention to the scupper size...if you take a good wave over the bow,where's the water gonna drain ??? out those 2 1" drains ??? gonna take a long time...ask the owner of a 265 g/w who had the very thing happen to him...the cockpit was almost completley filled,almost sank the boat...not good huh ?? i've ran notched transom boats for a long time,never once did i feel unsafe...i fish mostly off shore,tuna,marling,both trolling and chunking,as well as scallop boat fishing...never had a problem ever...
spent some time drigting and bucktailing stripers in the rips off cape may too...again,never had a problem...
it all comes down to what you as a boat owner prefer...but to make a statment that notched transom boats are unsafe,that's completley false...again,if you're happy with what you're running,then that's all that matters :D

Back