Pulling to Port

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknotsebastian

Reaction score
I have a wonderful 2002 23 SE with an 06 HPDI 200. Rev4 prop. I find the higher the RPMs, the more the boat seem to pull to port when underway. Def not a trim tab issue - happens when fully retracted. I seem to be constantly correcting to starbord - completing several fill rotations of the wheel over any distance. Engine looks and tracks (wake) straight. Steering cable issue (?) Rev 4 prop "pulling" (?)

Try adjusting your tab that site under the cav plate and behind the prop. I think the adjustment is oppsite of what you would think. As in adjust the tab to the port when facing the back of the motor? Do a google search or maybe someone will answer that part.

Did you recently buy the boat and notice this? Have you been running the boat consistently and now this just started? Did you recently switch out your zincs?
I'm with Shawnee, I would check out the zinc trim tab sacrificial anode on the bottom of your anticavitation plate to make sure it is aligned properly? It's purpose is a.) sacrificial zinc for corrosion protection and b.) keeps your boat tracking straight.

When you look at that zinc, is it pointing slightly toward STBD? that would make it tract toward Port. If so, back off the retaining screw and align it forward.

Looks like you guys nailed it. I'm much more of a fisherman than a mechanic, so I honestly never would have noticed.

IMG_2248.JPG

You're running a left hand turning lower unit. The prop is "walking" the boat to port. A 4 bladed prop will walk more noticeably than a 3.

Adjusting the zinc tab will improve tracking at a certain speed. Slower than that speed it will be less effective, and faster it will over compensate. Adjust it to cruise speed.

Trimming the outboard correctly just makes steering easier but the ass end of the boat will still walk.

FWIW the only way to eliminate walking is run twins with LH and RH turning props. Singles......it's the nature of the beast.

The only other issue that might contribute to constant correction is the helm hydraulics may be leaking/and or have air in the system and needs to be purged.

Thank you all!

I am not the first owner of this boat and motor combination, I am the second. First owner was a yamaha mechanic so I am guessing he knew what he was doing - since passed. Engine is set up same as he set it up. I changed nothing.

I was thinking it was related to the thick 4 blade prop. Seems exactly like described. Love the way she goes in general.

Zink is set on "1" - not zero (see pic above) perhaps he already set it on "1" to compensate for the prop (?). Maybe I need to try it on "2" ??? (it has "setting marks" up to "4").

In calm seas w/ 4 adults, full fuel, ice, gear, and trimmed nice she goes an easy 32/33 gps mph at 4200 compared to my brothers identical boat/motor with 3 blade prop goes 29 gps mph at same 4200 all else the same (and he has no pull to port).

Never actually went over 4600/4700 rpm - def was going over 40mph but no idea what WOT performance is.

grouperjim: how do I check if helm hydraulics are leaking or have air in the system
and need to be purged?

Back