Question About Dinghies..

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esfishdoc

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on what to get.

I'll be using here on the Eastern Shore to get from my anchored boat to a barrier island with typical distances of around 50 yards. Max capacity only needs to be 2 adults. I'll plan or rowing so I don't need something capable of a gas motor. All I'll need to do is secure it in the cockpit for a max of a 12 mile ride from dock to island and I really won't need it out of the way for fishing.

I see one that looks like it would be what I need... a Walker Bay 8'.

Anyone with any experience?

Thanks,

Richard

esfishdoc":iy227n0w said:
I'm looking for opinions on what to get.

I'll be using here on the Eastern Shore to get from my anchored boat to a barrier island with typical distances of around 50 yards. Max capacity only needs to be 2 adults. I'll plan or rowing so I don't need something capable of a gas motor. All I'll need to do is secure it in the cockpit for a max of a 12 mile ride from dock to island and I really won't need it out of the way for fishing.

I see one that looks like it would be what I need... a Walker Bay 8'.

Anyone with any experience?

Thanks,

Richard

Walker Bays are good little boats, im not sure how heavy they are though, might be ajob gettiing into and out of the pit. also, they dont look incredibly stable, but if youre just using it as a ferry, should be fine. if its a working platform i'd look at inflatables.

I am on the Georgia coast where we have average 8 foot tides. Resultant 3 to 5 knot currents are not unusual. Trying to row anything to and from the shore is not easy and requires, at the very least, using a sling shot effect where in you start well up current from the boat when trying to reach it from shore and far enough from sound openings to insure that you reach shore before you round the corner and head out to sea when going from the boat to the shore.
In my humble opinion many of the little dingies you see are really for lake or fresh water use unless you are operating in protected waters. They can be very unstable when trying to board them from the side of a larger vessel etc. I prefer hard bottom RIBS with an engine. A four horsepower will push you thru most current you will encounter and they are generally easy to crank. If you are ferrying passengers with a mix of amateurs you might want to consider an inflatable with a hard bottom of at least 10 feet in length.

Skipper Hub

One advantage of an inflatable is that you can deflate them to stow them.
I have a foot pump for my fenders (BIG fenders) that can both inflate and deflate.
The pump is high-volume and will pump up, or empty my fenders quick!
I'll get the brand name when I'm at the boat later today so you can take a look.

Here you go Richard.
The company is praktek.com trading as aere marine.
I bought my pump through them to inflate, and deflate my fenders.

Attachments

• fenders02.JPG
    fenders02.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 153
  • praktek.com.JPG
    praktek.com.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 153
keep in mind that inflatables require a fair amount of care and maintenance. speaking from the perspective of someone who has had 2 crap out on me, they can get messed up very quickly if not babied. in my opinion, if you can get away with using a hard sided dinghy, do it. and if you have to buy an inflatable, buy one constructed of Hypalon rather than PVC. the Hypalon, whili more expensive, can be heat welded, and the seams will not fail. as opposed to the cheaper PVC boats, in which the glue begins to deteriorate with heat, age, moisture, or all of the above.

Walker will not be fun to pull aboard...but may be more suitable for towing than an inflatable. Search any sailboat site for a slew of dinks. Good luck.

Back