Question re: 21se fuel tank replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Chet

Reaction score
I'm having my 90 gal tank replaced in my Parker 21se . The price quoted was to build and install a tank that could be BOLTED in place rather than using any foam.
I understand that foam holds water and can create all kinds of issues, But I've never heard of one being bolted in place?
Can the tank be effectively and safely bolted in?
Thoughts from the experts here is appreciated.
TIA

Yes, bolting is great provided it is properly done. Tank needs to be set to air can circulate around it, usually via plastic or hard rubber strips glued to the bottom so moisture can't get between tank and strips.

Yes, bolting is great provided it is properly done. Tank needs to be set to air can circulate around it, usually via plastic or hard rubber strips glued to the bottom so moisture can't get between tank and strips.
Thanks and I'll speak with my installer.

I understand that foam holds water and can create all kinds of issues,

Not if you install it the way I've been telling folks on here.

Yea...You still lag bolt it in....Thats to keep it in place when foaming it in. How many lag points will he use?

So....I'm going to start from the beginning once again for your benefit.

New tank material is upgraded from 1/8 to 3/16 5052 alum.

A vent is added at the back and T's into where the location of the front vent is.

A billet flange 1/2in thick is made [Drilled & taped] for the sending unit.

After tank is built....alum is cleaned of grease & oil...[wax & grease remover]

Then tank is sanded with a DA sander with 80gt.....and cleaned again with wax & grease remover.

It then gets 2 coats of Coal Tar epoxy rolled on it.

It then gets set into the boats coffin and lag bolted.

Using 4lb density 2 part foam it is poured to even with or slightly above the top edge of the tank.

The foam is cut flush with the top of the tank.

Using 6in wide 12oz fiberglass.....Half on the tank and half up the edge of the coffin. That fiberglass is laminated in.

A limber hole is installed even with the top of the tank....thru the aft coffin bulkhead which would allow ANY water that go past the pie plate gasket to exit that area.

You have now installed a tank that will outlast You.

The trick with foaming a tank is Never allow water to get to the alum....You have done this 2 fold following my method....Coal Tar epoxy seals the alum......Fiberglass the top edge around the tank keeps water out of the foam.

Also document [pix's] the install in every phase, as it's proof when resale time comes and Will increase the boats value.

90gal X 6.5lbs = is round figure 600lbs 600lbs being Slammed around.....Yes....Thats what a boat does.....and 4- 1/4in Lag bolts....I would not trust.

Yea...You still lag bolt it in....Thats to keep it in place when foaming it in. How many lag points will he use?

A vent is added at the back and T's into where the location of the front vent is.

Then tank is sanded with a DA sander with 80gt.....and cleaned again with wax & grease remover.

Using 4lb density 2 part foam it is poured to even with or slightly above the top edge of the tank.

Using 6in wide 12oz fiberglass.....Half on the tank and half up the edge of the coffin. That fiberglass is laminated in.

A limber hole is installed even with the top of the tank....thru the aft coffin bulkhead which would allow ANY water that go past the pie plate gasket to exit that area.

The trick with foaming a tank is Never allow water to get to the alum....You have done this 2 fold following my method....Coal Tar epoxy seals the alum......Fiberglass the top edge around the tank keeps water out of the foam.

Also document [pix's] the install in every phase, as it's proof when resale time comes and Will increase the boats value.

90gal X 6.5lbs = is round figure 600lbs 600lbs being Slammed around.....Yes....Thats what a boat does.....and 4- 1/4in Lag bolts....I would not trust.

Thank You

Thank You

This is the plan. see attached

Attachments

• Parker 21se Tank.pdf
    172.8 KB · Views: 71

Let me assure you of something....There is No air moving in that area of a boat built this way. The Only way, is if and it has been done........is to install those piehole solar panels with fans built into them......On Larger boats where there is room....Yes air can flow.....But not on these....It's a damp, dark area.

Once again......Never allowing moisture to get to the tank is the cure.

It doesnt make since to me that those pie hole solar fans would work very well with a cover on the boat. Maybe you leave the boat exposed for a few hours before covering.

It doesnt make since to me that those pie hole solar fans would work very well with a cover on the boat. Maybe you leave the boat exposed for a few hours before covering.
The boat is kept in a covered rack and I only cover the boat in the winter. But I think there is air circulation in that area because the bulkhead is open at the top and bottom allowing some air flow. Anyhow, the Thru Hull is a dead issue now.

I need to replace my tank too, but can't find anyone wanting to take the job. Who is do the work and What was the cost for a new tank and insatll?

I need to replace my tank too, but can't find anyone wanting to take the job. Who is do the work and What was the cost for a new tank and insatll?
Where are you? I'm in Annapolis, MD Anyhow it seems that the price of Aluminum has gone up a bit. (Bet you can guess why). Prior to Covid it was under $14 per gallon for the tank to be fabricated in 1/4". I was quoted $16 to $18 prior to the making a deal. Looks like the final cost may be closer to $20 per gallon. I think most guys get 1/8" to 3/16" but my builder uses 1/4". The fabrication has not started yet but it looks like $1800 ($20 X 90 gal) for the tank and then somewhere in the ballpark of 5K to 6K for the install. I'm using a shop in Solomons, MD that was recommended to me. There are a couple places on the Eastern shore that can do the work also. Hope that helps some.

But I think there is air circulation in that area because the bulkhead is open at the top and bottom allowing some air flow.

It can be open.....But it's still under a enclosed deck.....It's a Dark, Gloomy and damp area. To get air Flow...air must be forced in......and have a exit.

FWIW…I was getting gas in the bilge and thought my tank was leaking. After some research on the web there seemed to be some issues with fuel gauge sending units leaking (where bolted on top of tank)…that was my problem. Easy fix.

If you have not yet done so, suggest you check your fuel gauge sending unit seal/bolts before cutting your deck.

I'm a mechanic at a dealership in annapolis md.....not for parker though. I would recommend giving Abell custom marine a call for a quote. We use them on on our new boats, and I plan to use them on my 21se if I find my tank needs replacing although I've had good luck with sending unit gasket and fill hose where both were cracked and leaking.

FWIW…I was getting gas in the bilge and thought my tank was leaking. After some research on the web there seemed to be some issues with fuel gauge sending units leaking (where bolted on top of tank)…that was my problem. Easy fix.

If you have not yet done so, suggest you check your fuel gauge sending unit seal/bolts before cutting your deck.
All was well with the sending unit. Good to hear you caught the issue.

All was well with the sending unit. Good to hear you caught the issue.
One thing I for got to mention…you have to have the boat/trailer at an angle where gas in the tank is at the level of the sending unit opening to determine if it’s leaking there. That may be apparent and you may have done that…just another bit of info I forgot to include in my previous comment.

Latest posts

Back