Questions about a Parker 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbieleck

Reaction score
I am seriously considering a 2004 Parker 2520 with a 4 stroke 225 Yamaha(not sure how many hours or if under warranty). It appears to be in good shape(not excellent) and has average electronics. Has a live baitwell, but no other major options. My questions are:

1. Ideas on what it is worth?
2. How does the 2520 handle rough seas? I am concerned about only 16 degree deadrise in handling, but I like that the boat won't almost tip over if 2 people get on the same side of the boat
3. Although it comes from the factory that way, it seems that these boats are underpowered with a single 225. Does anybody have any problems with that?

thanks for any information. I haven't test drove the boat. I have to make an offer and have contract first. I used to dive off of a 21 Parker many years ago.

I have an 05.

Not underpowered. Jumps on plane with even 7 people on board. Tops out at 35, which is about typical for the 2520's A 250 will get you another couple mph and use more gas.

You're not going to be able to run wot in a sloppy chop, however it handles very very well in rough seas. My cruise in a sloppy sea is about 22mph with some tabs down. The bow has a deeper v that slices the chop nice. All the while averaging over 2mpg.

Bought mine new as a leftover last year for a hair over $50K. I've seen used ones advertised for more so maybe I got lucky, or maybe folks are not being realistic.

We love ours. I was a little worried about the 225 on such a big boat too, but I'm not worried anymore. :)

I once drove a 2520XL with a 225 four stroke. I thought it was underpowered.

FWIW, I encourage you to test drive this boat yourself and also a 2520DV. (21 degree deadrise)

I have the 2520 XL with an F225. Propped the way it was from the factory it certainly had it's moments when it felt marginally powered. However, with a Rev 4 it feels like a different engine.

That being said... Rough Seas = DV

What part of the country are you in?

channel_surfer":2ism1xks said:
I have an 05.

Not underpowered. Jumps on plane with even 7 people on board. Tops out at 35, which is about typical for the 2520's A 250 will get you another couple mph and use more gas.

You're not going to be able to run wot in a sloppy chop, however it handles very very well in rough seas. My cruise in a sloppy sea is about 22mph with some tabs down. The bow has a deeper v that slices the chop nice. All the while averaging over 2mpg.

Bought mine new as a leftover last year for a hair over $50K. I've seen used ones advertised for more so maybe I got lucky, or maybe folks are not being realistic.

We love ours. I was a little worried about the 225 on such a big boat too, but I'm not worried anymore. :)

You have a Deep Vee 2520 with a single 225? When I was shopping, you couldn't get a single engine 2520 deep vee (they later came out with the 300). Had to buy it with twins.

Thanks for the responses. I live in South Florida and rarely would go out more than a couple of miles. I also have a 2320 I am looking at with a 250 yamaha. I know that has the 21 degree deadrise. I am kind of torn on which way to go between the 2320 and 2520. Any thoughts on the differences between the two besides the obvious size difference. How big of seas will the 2320 handle? How many people? Anything else? etc.
thanks
ps I didn't think about the deeper V requiring a larger engine. Is that why the 2520's seem to have a 225 while the 2320's have a 250 engine?

When we were looking last year, we almost bought the 23. However after shopping we found the 25 for what amounted to almost the same price, a few thousand more. The shop we got the 2520 at had it next to a 2320, there is no comparison going between the boats, the freeboard is higher, the beam is almost a foot and a half wider, the cabin is bigger, the dash (in my opinion) is nicer, etc. The 2320 is an awesome boat, please do not take this the wrong way if you have a 2320. Like I said we almost got one. But if you can find a deal like we did and get a 2520 you'd be crazy not to.

Disadvantages:

2520 is tough to trailer (9.5" beam and 3+ tons w/o trailer). I like to to go the mountains and vacation at a lake house, couldn't do that this year with the 2520.

2520 is slower with the same power if that matters to you. MPG is about identical, I am averaging 2.6 throughout a trip calculated with a flow meter and trip gps log, the best MPG I've seen posted on a 2320 is about 2.7 which was peak according to the owner. My 2520 tops out at 35 and cruises at about 28, the 2320's will cruise near 35 and top above 40.

I have been out in some bad water with the 2520 since we bought her last June, never had a moment of doubt, the boat is absolutely confidence inspiring. I've taken green water over the side of the bow and it just runs off and the boat is unaffected.

channel surfer,
Thanks, that is exactly the type of information I am looking for. You probably just swayed me from the 2320. No mountains in Florida to worry about. Plus the 2520 is a little older and quite a bit cheaper. Now one more question, and I have reviewed the posts discussing it, but does anybody have any thoughts on the 2520 vs. the 2510. I plan to use the boat primarily for commercial aquaculturing of live rock but I have a family with a couple of little ones so I would be using the boat for pleasure also. My wife prefers the look of the 2510 walkaround. I think either one would serve my purposes. What do you think?

I had a walkaround (wellcraft) before I got my parker. The parker 2520 and 2510 are the same hull, only difference is the top side. My neighbor across the street has the 2510 and loves it. I have personally always wanted a parker pilot house and when I had the canvas on my walkaround I never put it down, so there is no real advantage to a walkaround for me. Remember the pilot house is still a "walkaround" in that you can easily access the bow around the side. It comes down to whether you want to be able to open up the helm (curtains) or have the house. Also, the pilot house version has the cabin more forward which lends itself to more cockpit (fishing) room. The walkaround has the helm further back, the ride I'm sure is a little better since you're closer to the transom. It's totally a personal decision when it comes down to it.

Hi
Check one of the older pages (page 2) It was in May/June. I Inquired Pilot House or Walkaround? I got a lot of responses (24) you can read them all. Also there is one on pilot house in warm locations compares 2510/2520 may help you decide. I fought the decision for (2) months and went with a pilot house. This site helped a lot.

Good Luck
Bruceter

ditto on Opti's advice. PM the Otherline. He has the 2520 MV and i have the 2320. we go back and forth on each other's boat. he can give you some good insight about what he likes and dislikes about each of the hulls. i know he really likes my DV when we get in the snot, but he really like the "bigger dance floor" on his boat.

FYI: i choose to cruise @35 2.7mpg because of the great distances i have to go to get to the grounds. i get 2.9 @30mph and 3.0 @25mph. i think larry gets on average around 2.3mpg @25-30mph.

The F225 was offered on the 2520XL until the the F250 became available. After that it was a no-brainer..... The F250 is the logical choice. So if you see a 2520XL with an F225 it is most likely a 2004 or older.

The 2320 is probably the roomiest 23 foot boat out there... the 2520 gives you more.

The 2320 will handle water that humans have no business being in... the 2520 extends the comfort level a bit while wishing you were back at the dock.

Running around in the winter months with the PH door closed and a small propane heater on, my passengers and I are always glad I have a PH. Also, the couple of times we have run through storms with the wind gusting over 35 it makes it so easy to tend to the job at hand with all the wind and wet kept completey outside.

esfishdoc":1d3998xe said:
The 2320 will handle water that humans have no business being in...

yeah baby...........well said......i like the sound of that. Parker should put that in the brochure :)

esfishdoc":3e86yka2 said:
the couple of times we have run through storms with the wind gusting over 35 it makes it so easy to tend to the job at hand with all the wind and wet kept completey outside.

When it really gets snotty, the wind and water stay on the outside while I get to look through glass instead of plastic. :wink:
That is why I like the pilothouse.

sbieleck":21wdmoql said:
channel surfer,
I have a family with a couple of little ones so I would be using the boat for pleasure also.

Not to try and sway you away from the Parker brand, but check out the 25' Grady Sailfish in my signature. This is about the most family friendly fishing boat out there. Sleeps 3, full stand up head and it's a true walkaround (high bow rail w/ recessed walkways). These are some of the reasons we chose it over a 2510.

Mine is currently w/out power so you could pick what you wanted...but that may change here soon as I have my eye on a set of 200 Optis.

Just another option... :)

I had the boat (2520XL) out this past weekend in the South Florida 90+ degree heat and was glad I was driving from the pilothouse. Much cooler inside - and no sunburn!

I had a question for esfishdoc though - which Rev 4 did you go with?

I've owned walkarounds, CC's and now the PH. To each his own, however, even though you have plastic "windows", it's just not the same as having a solidly enclosed house.

I've been in weather where the wind ripped the windows right out of their snaps.

As far as the DV, MV debate. I have the MV. Been on Grouper Jim's boat many times. Wish I had the DV. Big difference in how she takes the chop. Had they offered the 300 when I was shopping, I would have bought that. I just didn't want to spend the money on twins. While the 23 is a great boat, the 25 IMHO, just feels soooo much bigger. I don't trailer so the decision was easy for me.

drvan":3v5fwt20 said:
I had the boat (2520XL) out this past weekend in the South Florida 90+ degree heat and was glad I was driving from the pilothouse. Much cooler inside - and no sunburn!

I had a question for esfishdoc though - which Rev 4 did you go with?

for a 2520 XL you should need a rev 4 17p.where in fla are you?

Back