Radar mount behind spotlight

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimC2520

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Radar newbie here and I am going to install a Garmin 24 dome on top of a pilot house roof. Unfortunately, it will have to go directly behind the spot light in the pic. The spot light is exactly 10" high. The radar will be mounted on a 6" tower with a 4 degree down angle. The dome itself is just shy of 10" so the mount as a whole will be 16" tall. Will the spot light forever be an "image" on the screen? The mount I want only comes in 6" or 12". Do you think 12" would look awkward being so tall? I don't know if the company will custom make a 10" version as they are closed until 2/14.

The higher the better. I only have a 6" mount but my father has a taller mount. I trailer a lot so I didnt want to go too tall. My radar swipes enough branches. My father mostly wet slips so not as big of deal to him. Just go with the 12" mount, especially since Parkers have a lower roof line and it will get the radar beam slightly higher over the passengers head.

It is in the snow but you can see that a higher radar mount looks fine.. (even if it didnt, it is more practical)

12605319_1033644686692044_1194518278351779584_o.jpg

Even with the higher radar mount you are probably lower than I am since the parker wheelhouse is lower with the step down. I would just go for the taller one and take the better range and safety for your passengers.

I've used Go-Light brand spotlights in the past. Buy at a 4 X 4 shop....same thing but cheaper.

Anyway....They don't stand near as Tall as the light you have on there.

I just had an ACR spotlight installed before she went in for her winter nap. I mounted it right in front of radar, and it looks like there won't be any issues. A handheld light is a PITA, hard to steer, hold light and watch screen all at same time.

Leaning toward the 12" pedestal. I figure the light is already there, works perfectly, why make a subtraction of already installed options.
Thanks for the opinions...

John, how high is the dome behind the light? Did you get a chance to use it much? A rep at the AC show told me to get the dome above the light when I showed him the pictures.
Of course, that was just his opinion.

I did not get a chance to use it at all since it was done just before it was shrink wrapped in my driveway. First thing I did was try the radar and was not a problem. Go with the 12" SS mount if you are worried.

Attachments

• searchlight.jpeg
    searchlight.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 144
The top of the light is about even with the dark portion of the dome. My installer said the actual array inside the dome is probably a couple inched above the top of the light.

Going with the Stainless mount as apposed to a Powder coated alum mount is a very good choice... The stainless bolts that mount everything will cause corrosion.
and the alum mount to look like crap in a couple of years.

John, I was thinking the same thing today. If I put the 6" pedestal on top of a 1" piece of custom cut starboard that's 7". I have seen the "guts" of those radomes, the magnetron is a few inches off the very bottom of the dome. The 6" may work. I ordered the dome, once the cover comes off I will put it behind the light and lift it 7", see how it looks. Plus, the battlewagon guy told me today to call back in a few weeks. If he is feeling better (heart surgery) he would do a custom height.

I used a stainless mount this time. As Warthog stated the other powder coated one will corrode like my previous one on my 2120.
That Battlewagon looks like it already has a 7 degree angle, you might not need a wedge.

warthog5":1oqrtd2z said:
Going with the Stainless mount as apposed to a Powder coated alum mount is a very good choice... The stainless bolts that mount everything will cause corrosion.
and the alum mount to look like crap in a couple of years.
My Seaview mount on the other boat turned to crap after 1 season

That battlewagon comes with a 4 degree downward angle on the top plate. The base is flat. I was going to see how it sits/looks with the base placed on top of a 1" piece of starboard cut to size. That will give me 7" and see how that sits behind the spot light. Have to wait for the radome to come and the winter cover to come off. If that doesn't look right, I will call battlewagon back and see if he is up for a custom, 10" mount. If not, gonna have to be a 12.

I used an iphone app to measure a 4 degree wedge and the dome is 6" off the floor. The top of that tape measure is the height of the spot light.
BOE said the magnetron is roughly at the half way mark on the dome and that he would just use the 6" base if it were him. I am going to see if Battlewagon will make an 8" pedestal, if not, I will try it like this for one year and if it's a problem, swap the light for one that isn't as tall.

Your searchlight is without a doubt a higher profile than my ACR. Mine comes up just past the grey portion on the bottom of the dome.

Back