Raising Motor on Bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outta Here

Reaction score
Can we discuss raising or lowering OB motors on the bracket or hull?

Can ya hear me know? :lol:
Image-5C68F50C50C511DB.jpg

Yes, I raised my OB 2 holes and gained RPMs and more importantly, speed ... as there was less lower unit drag in the water. I will say your prop choice goes a long way to just 'how far up' you can raise the OB and still get a good bite. Premium props or those with high cupping (which is in reality a premium prop) get a better bite, as do some 4-blade models and that'll allow you to run with the OB mounted higher.

I did find that I need to still trim the OB in a bit to take fast/sharp tun 45-degrees off my heading and if I need to do a 180 turn, then yes ... I need to tuck her all the way down and in if I want to stay on plane. I'll also need to drop RPMs there too, but can typically stay above 3K, less DANGER turns to 'move out of the lane' like really fast! Then I don't care so much if the prop blows out ... ;) !

In regards to noise, I bet she's hearing more noise from the powerleg and not necessarily more noise from the exhaust. Most exhaust exits from the thru-prop exhaust outlet and while there is an exhaust hole mounted up higher on the OB leg, this is more a water exhaust 'relief' port so the motor can still exhaust even when running in reverse.

You know, if you told her you 'raised' the motor beforehand, she might actually be hearing more cuz' she thinks she might be hearing more ... But that said, while the transom does block some of the noise, it doesn't block all of it so she could be hearing more engine noise from a 1" raise. FWIW I know a guy who removed all cowlings and the lower unit leg and 'painted' the inside of them with that Silent Running noise retardent solution and he swears his motor is ultra-super quiet know. Makes sense ...

I'm actually thinking of raising my motor 1 hole this winter.
I've always thought that I get too much 'spray'. Call it a gut feeling if nothing else...

DaleH":15xjzp70 said:
Gotta love it when the 'PropGods' use an E-Tec as their model :D !

Could be because they were testing everything on the boat becsause it was performing subpar :shock: :lol:

I had my motors raised 2 notches a few weeks ago. I'm not sure exactly what the effects were because I also changed props at the same time. But I can tell you the first thing I noticed was the absolute lack of V spray after the change. I used to get spray about 5' high...

Of course that could have been due to the far superior Merc. props that I installed. :D

Most interesting thread. I have a question. In the pictures, Ken suggests that you should be able to see the plate when running, but I am not clear on what the correct trim level is supposed to be, when checking to see if the plate is submersed or not. Is it one bar? Two bars?

Also, when checking, are we running at WOT?

FishFactory":1kimikfc said:
Also is good excuse to Admiral to re-power with Yamaha. :lol:

I see. You have to come up with excuses to put a Yamaha on. Is that because there aren't any good reasons? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm. Where's the backup eTec to drop on the transom when the first one blows up?

36_1_19.gif

just be careful with a bracketed outboard as they can be more prone to ventilate in a following sea if you go to high.

FishFactory":1nwd0na9 said:
Wicho":1nwd0na9 said:
Good thread!...
I know what i'll be doing this weekend!

It's really easy with an Armstrong Bracket. Loosen motor, remove all but the 2 bracket screws in slots, set foot on wood blocks, jack tongue up or down to line up. Yamaha has 2 bolts in slots to allow just this so you don't have to take off all bolts.

Since the bracket is all aluminum, no worries about water intrusion rotting wood, one person can hold wrenches on both sides of bolts.

You can go 1 hole easily, IF you're runnin' a Merc REV 4 prop. My stock black Yamaha prop would spin some in rough water. You'll LOVE the reduced wake, gotta be helping top speed and GPH also. Next trip to boat, I'll be going up 2 holes.

Genius !

Ok - when i get the prop (some day :(>.. I'll know how to lift it!

So the idea is to just let the motor keel thingy sit on a block of wood and lift the tounge up until it gets to the proper height?

What about all that sealer that lloks like they used btw the motor and the bracket? Is that 4200 or something that I need to re-apply?

Thanks!

FishFactory":x4f2xa5d said:
IMO, the 2 biggest improvements in a 23DVCC are big tabs, and the Merc Rev 4 w/motor up at least one hole.

Wait a minute! Did I just hear FF say he is running a Merc. prop on his precious Yamaha? :D

Get ready....it's coming...

hell_freezes_over.jpg

Hi--I raise one hole, then the next year I went one more, then one more. NG. Had to come back down -one -only because I lost to much speed, but your gas miles get better. I am two holes from the bottom. You lose about 5 mph for each hole. My gas miles are great now.
When I first bought the boat, I had A big spray in the rear. Does anyone know why that is. I do not have it now. I also have a 4 blade. I did all that with the 3 blade. Having the 4 blade now I can do 3000 rpm and be on plan. with the 3 blade it was 3800 rpm. I have a 200 HPDI two stroke. Some one should tell parker were to set these motors. Do they just put them to get max speed ????

DaleH":367w3wo2 said:
Yeah ... gotta watch out for 'boats' ...

You mean you gotta watch out for motors and dealers who install them.

When I was in high school, I worked at a marina. I drilled a lot of hulls and mounted engines without ever thinking about where the anti-ventilation plate was located WRT the keel. Was never trained to look for that and adjust accordingly.

Wanna bet a lot of motors are improperly installed?

Dave

aka

well i have been toying with the idea of raising up my motors. i have the 2530 with twin 225's. it originally came with a 14 x 19 prop yamaha black stainless prop. took the props to the local shop and had them cupped. boat ran 52 mph according to the yamaha speedo at 5700 rpm. Cruise started at 3500 RPM @ 25 MPH.

So today i used the method of raising the motor that Dale H recommended using the trailer and some wood. took about 10 minutes per motor. Very easy just take your time. moved the motors from the position that was all the way down to up two holes. measures about 1.5 inches center to center. Figured id give it a shot. Intracoastal was pretty snotty and the wind was blowing like crazy.

Anyways new performance is much better. got up on plane more quickly. cruise started at about 3200 @ 25mph and 3500 brought 27 to 28. Cruise mpg was around 1.9. all of these figures are very light. things i noticed were that i could trim the engines a lot more at cruise without causing the boat to porpoise. It was actually twice as much. so 4 bars trimmed up. steering appeared to be alittle easier and never blew out. but not many times ill be making right hand turns at 30 mph. fun part was WOT was now 55MPH according to the speedo. checked the garmin to see what the actual was and its new high was 53.6 mph. didnt want to check it while running that fast. so far i like having the motors up makes a big difference in my opinion. Also got my rpms to 5900 trimmed out. hopefully ill be able to test out the boat in some seas if they get a little smaller and ill know if im going to leave them where they are. they look like they are still a good bit in the water. i would imagine the additional weight of the 225's on the back would allow the engines to be moved up where i did.

Back