Raising Motor on Bracket

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't done it yet, but I'm going up 2 out of the four holes that's there over the winter. I used those photos Dale supplied just before I pulled her out and the cav plate is a couple of inches below while on plane.
I'm assuming raising the motor can also be done by removing the two bolts in the bracket with holes and just loosening the ones with slots, then get a good old floor jack under the leg with some wood in between to make the adjustment. Someone please correct me if they think this is the wrong approach. :roll:

BuddahB":3pp8fdmx said:
I'm assuming raising the motor can also be done by removing the two bolts in the bracket with holes and just loosening the ones with slots, then get a good old floor jack under the leg with some wood in between to make the adjustment. Someone please correct me if they think this is the wrong approach. :roll:

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Yes, some have done it like this and gotten away with it but...

An F250 weighs close to 600 pounds. The lower unit was never designed to have this much of a load pass through it. Can't you imagine the round gear case being somewhat oval in shape while the motor is being supported from the skeg? Think this is doing the gearcase any good? Lay a Coke can on its side and then push down on the middle of the can. See what I mean?

There is a very good reason why the power head has lift brackets attached to it.

Oh, I have a friend that owns a light airplane. The engine has a lift bracket to remove the motor. That friend used the lift bracket to lift the entire airplane off the ground to change a wheel axle, since it was so easy to do. The entire weight of the airplane went through the motor. Guess who was very unhappy when bearings in the engine failed. A very very expensive lesson ensued. When Lycoming (maker of the engine was consulted) their comment was "who in the world would ever try to lift an airplane using the motor support bracket".

Like I said, some have done it with apparently no harm. Or, is there latent harm that is going to manifest itself somewhere down the road, when the gearcase is out of warranty?

Spend $45 or so and rent one of these for a day...

IMG_7501.jpg

gw204":2ej2qg5r said:

IMG_7501.jpg

Not tall enough ... if/when mounted on a pickup, well ... sometimes you can't get right over the motor.

DaleH":1fzuu6ss said:
gw204":1fzuu6ss said:

IMG_7501.jpg

Not tall enough ... if/when mounted on a pickup, well ... sometimes you can't get right over the motor.

Used the exact same hoist yesterday to move my little 115 Merc to a small engine stand in order to free up the big stand for a Yamaha 200. Was able to pick the 200 up off of a 4' x 8' flatbed trailer (that sits about 14" off the ground) and get it high enough so the skeg completely cleared the floor of the trailer. I also took some measurements and there was more than enough lift to get the motor in position to mount on the bracket of my 25' Grady.

And it was only $39 for a 24-hour rental, not $45. :)

I should just buy one of the darn things...

Latest posts

Back