Range of 2120

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake378

Reaction score
Hello I just picked up my new to me 2004 2120 with 150. I sold my 18 grady white center console with 115 yamaha fourstroke. This forum is great,I have been reading posts for months while shopping for my new boat. I have so many questions! First is there anyone on here in the boston area that has a 2120 and how far have you gone out in it? I'd like to go to stellwagon bank or down to ptown at some point if this boat can handle it. Just want to know if anyone has any first hand experience going that far in this boat. Another question is what type of electronics set up do you guys have? There's not much room on the dash and I don't want to block my view forward. I'm leaning towards a garmin 741xs with radar if I can swing it. Any input would be great. I also need to come up with a livewell set up to keep live mackerel alive! Can the raw water pump handle that constant running to keep macks going or should I get a different pump and t off the intake? I just got the boat home yesterday so my mind is running all over the place. Sorry for all the questions in one post. Im new at this. Thanks for any info--Jake

Congrats Jake on your new 2120. It's a great boat and you will see pretty tough. I've had mine out to the stream from off Cape Lookout/Morehead City which is about 28 to 30 miles. Like all smaller boats, you need to pick your days and be very aware of the sea conditions and weather potential. Maybe "LuckyJohn" will read your post. He probably has more experience going way offshore with a 2120 than anyone else on here. He runs out of the LBI area of Jersey. Good luck with you new baby!

Congrats on your new ride. I can see your mind is racing and we will see if we can answer some questions. How far you can go has many factors. You have a 12 yr old engine and would need to know history and see how it runs for a bit before making the decision to run more than 10-15 miles or so. There are many other factors to consider such as safety etc. There is many here who will be willig to help.

Thanks guys for any info. The 150 Yamaha has 350 hours. The gentleman I bought the boat from maintained it well and had all records to prove it and was the original owner.He never fished on it! It was used to cruise around. I had the engine checked out at a Yamaha dealer. They ended up replacing the balancer and a few other things. They did a compression test and leak down test and all was good. I upgraded from a 18 Grady center console with a 115 fourstroke Yamaha. I loved it but needed the pilot house for my kids to get out of the wether and extend my fishing time on the water. I would definitely be checking all weather reports if I do plan on going off shore. I need to upgrade the electronics, get a rocket launcher and figure out a live well. The one more thing I need to figure out is the salt buildup on the inside of the cabin window frames. They are pretty pitted and need to be polished and waxed. Does anyone have that issue??? What works to clean the pitting off and prevent it from returning?

Jake378, I was in a very familiar situation to you. I recently picked up a 2520xl and am out of Ipswich. The boat was also just used for cruising and we are in the process of rigging to for fishing. Our boat didn't have a live well or a raw water pump so we are putting a set up in this weekend. We went with a basic 40 gal moeller tank that sits on deck. For a pump set up we picked up a 1600 gph rule tournament series dual port. the unit screws directly onto the thru-hull scoop and has a half inch outlet for the raw water right on the base of the pump. We picked this set up based on recommendations from a local dealer and from posts on here. The reason I would say that using the Raw water pump is not a good idea is because it is a positive displacement pump meaning that if you try to throttle the flow into the bait well you can damage the pump. A livewell pump on the other hand is a centrifugal pump which means you can restrict the outlet flow without damaging the pump. Mackerel are a rather hard fish to keep alive so the ability to adjust the flow is important. Its not getting installed until this weekend so I can't comment on how it performs but that seems to be the way many go. We bought a used rocket launcher on craigslist that someone took off their 26' Judge and are making some minor adjustments to make it fit and contour the top. well worth the $500 savings. As far as the salt buildup on the inside of the window I have that issue too but don't have a fix yet. Im planning on doing some research this week and Ill post if I find anything worth sharing.

Ebates thanks for the info. When you get the pump up and running could you post some pictures or pm me. I am interested in a similar set up. I need to figure out the rocket launcher situation. Did you get a quote for a rocket launcher from the Parker dealer? I was able to keep a dozen or so macks alive in my Grady front cooler/live well with a live well pump from Walmart that clipped to my battery. It was a lot of work though, constantly pulling drain plug and bucketing in fresh water. I would lose a lot of good bait but I never ran out so it worked. I have the raw water intake so I will utilize that with a good pump. The day I got the boat home I wiped/ scraped off little salt type crystals on the inside of the window frames then went over them with wd40 and a rag. I would like to see if I can remove the minor putting and keep them from getting worse. Any ideas are welcome!

Yeah parker quoted about $600 for a new rocket launcher which has 6 rod holders. A lot of people will go with an aftermarket one that has more holders (up to ten) for less money. Ill post up some pictures of the pump set up this weekend.

Back