Re-hubbing Yamaha Prop

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andertonm

Reaction score
My cousin's husband has a GW with older Yamaha 250 2-stroke. A couple of weeks ago he spun the prop, fortunately close to home, and we towed him in. He took the stainless prop to the best prop guys in town and they re-hubbed it for him and, on myadvice, he bought a back-up aluminum prop. He put the re-hubbed prop back on, went for a ride, and it spun again. He took it back to the prop shop and they told him that they would re-hub it for free, but they wouldn't guarantee it beyond that. They said Yamaha were the only ones still using a pressed in rubber hub and he should consider switching to a Merc prop with replaceable insert. So now I don't trust my Yamaha saltwater series stainless prop. It's a long story (documented on this board) but the prop was selected and installed by a Yamaha tech rep and it made the boat perform EXACTLY as the Parker spec sheet said it should - speed, rpm, etc. If my prop spins, I want to go Merc 4-blade, but how do I translate my current diameter and pitch to the new prop?

You probably have the shiny metal saltwater series yamaha prop which is pretty comparable in diameter to the Mirage Plus series from Merc. I wouldnt worry too much about spinning your prop I havent heard many people having a problem with the Yamah prop. If you go with the Merc 4 blade you will change the characteristics of your boat and the economy top end hole shot will all change either good or bad depending on your opinion. I have the Rev 4 19's and like them alot. But if I didnt have the little black stainless props from Yamaha i would have left them.

Back